Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs sent off to slaughter yesterday  (Read 2773 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
lambs sent off to slaughter yesterday
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
Well me and my dad took 3 lambs off to slaughter yesterday, 1 pure lleyn ram lamb, which I forgot to tail when younger, and 2 friesland x welsh x torddu lambs from the 2 sheep I bought in last year.  I know this may seem a bit sentimental but when i dropped them off one of the lambs, a pet and paul by name, wanted to come with me and I felt terrible leaving him there. I gave him a quick hug before going and I was on the verge of tears going home, I felt depressed all last night, it feels so bad. I think i am getting rather soft as i get older, I think its the fact i reared him when his mother died, so I built up a really big bond with him. It doesn't bother my dad so much, as he is used to this sort of thing but shouldn't I be by now? I have seen countless amounts of lambs going for slaughter and not felt as guilty as I felt yesterday.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: lambs sent off to slaughter yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:05 pm »
Never, ever, ever, feel bad for caring.

I've had to cull a few pet birds when they got ill, and damn right I had tears in my eyes. Likewise, taking a trailer of stock to slaughter is fine while I'm concentrating on where to reverse and who gets the paperwork -but afterwards I always need a few minutes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »
BH is over 60, and what you're describing is why he hates rearing pet lambs himself.  It's not the work, it's how he feels when he has to take them in.

He feels sorry for all the lambs when they go, but when it's a pet and it looks up to you with its big eyes all trusting... He hates it.

I rationalise it, knowing I've given that animal the best life I could.  But it still leaves you feeling low for a day or two.

The day you're immune is probably the day you should stop looking after animals.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »
Thanks for that guys :) I heard a doctor say in an interview about when he was essentially ending a patients life by taking out their organs for someone else, because this lad wouldn't have made it through ever and at least the other lad could be given the chance to survive, that if he wasn't very upset then he may as well not be a doctor, becuase you have to care to be a doctor (likewise a vet and a farmer).
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:36 pm »
It is pretty horrible, especially when you have just a few.  I tend to turn to black humour - 'see you for dinner'  :hungry:.  I know, that's really sick  :yuck:

I still remember taking some Jacob ewes to Carlisle sale.  They were bought for breeding stock by good people. As we walked away one gave me such a soulful look I can still see her big eyes - and she wasn't going anywhere horrible.

We will be taking our lads in a week or so - always a gloomy day
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:50 pm »
As you know FW the best way to preserve a rare breed is to eat it and that's why the Hebridean's are where they now are because of its eating qualities. That said a bit of reverance and respect for the life that feeds you is always a good thing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:34:54 pm »
I find a walk up to the fields to see what animals you have at home helps. The worst one for me is when we send the last group of tame lambs off for the year and there's no lambs at home to come home to  :'(

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:07:42 pm »
I'm so pleased you've started this thread.  I think you say, so elegantly, what so many of us feel.  Tears in the eye, and lump in the throat, and taking responsibility for the decisions we are making about these precious animals.  And as so many have written, to carry on caring, and showing respect, is the measure of us all....

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »
I only have five Soays. Two ewes, two lambs and a neutered ram. My plan is to eat the two lambs when fatted up, breed from the ewes and do it all again every year. Thanks for the earlier posts as I am quite sentimental but committed to rearing happy sheep!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS