Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another first  (Read 1082 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
Another first
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:30:06 pm »
No, not a rosette!  One of our lambs had scours so we took a sample to the vet - she has worms.  So yesterday we wormed all four of them.  They seem none to worried about the process.  They survived (so far!) and we survived - a good result all round.

We are like first time parents - constantly checking on them  ::)   Horses, chickens, dogs and cats we are confident with - sheep are a whole new ballgame for us.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Another first
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:34 pm »
Its really good what you're doing, I'm like that with the buffalo and buffalo calves, plus the rest of the animals too. They are in a sense a part of the family and you have to take care of them as if they were your family, this is what my dad and mum have drummed into us all :) I'm glad they are ok, there can be a problem if you worm a sheep too late, it depends on the damage done to the insides of the animal which can be crucial.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:01:06 am »
Glad to know we are not the only ones! 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:56:29 am »
Good shepherds spend time with their flock, just being with them and quietly observing.  Sheep being prey animals, they're very good at hiding symptoms.  So you have to know them well enough to know what's normal, so you can pick up on not normal.

One of my examples is Mildred.  To someone who didn't know her, she'd have looked like all the other sheep that night.  To me, Mildred not mobbing the quad bike and running alongside with her head inside the sack being first at the cake was not normal.  So I went back to check her later, and sure enough, she was down.  Calcium and vitamins, and she was up and running within 20 minutes.  If I hadn't known that behaving like all the other sheep wasn't normal for Mildred, she'd have been dead by the following morning.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »
The more time you spend looking at them the quicker you'll pick up the small signs of things like flystrike in particular.  Could just be a small shake of the head or a tiny, quick movement that alerts you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS