Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike!  (Read 5767 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Flystrike!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »
How do farmers manage their lambs on common grazing then?

They Clik or Crovect.

I dose the lambs when they're 3 months old and then again when I take them off their moms at the end of the year, I dose them with eblex usually :)

I assume you mean Albex?  Which is albendazole.  Eblex is the Beef and Lamb Executive.

Hopefully you don't use Albex on your Friesland ewes; it's not for use in animals producing milk for human consumption. 

I have had a few lambs with flystrike this year, but haven't lost one yet to flystrike. Have to be very careful in this persistent bad weather >:(

Some would say that knowing that a few animals will get strucken but that you'll catch it and treat it so that they don't die, is not good welfare.

The "keep 'em clean and keep a good watch'" approach is for sites which will get none or the odd one in most years.  Most of us who don't Clik or Crovect routinely would do the lot once it's clear that it's the sort of year when a few of them will get strucken.

You learn, from experience, what sort of strikes you get on your land, and with Crovect you can protect accordingly.  For instance, we very rarely get a shoulder strike here, so if we Crovect, we usually do heads and bums only. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
I've found one treatment of Clik once the wool is 1cm long after shearing will see our flock through the summer. Very occasionally if the Autumn is mild with humid weather I may see flystrike in one or two sheep, but I rely on vigilance  to spot them.  If you have 3000 ewes roaming over 1500 acres you have to take a very different approach.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 07:59:06 pm »
I have had 3 cases of fly strike this year.  all had clic 8 weeks ago and it should last 16 weeks.  I think it is just perfect weather for maggots, hot, wet, humid.  Bloody annoying.
                              CLIK does not stop eggs being laid  (  stops them hatching ) or maggots ( deforms them )

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 08:08:09 pm »

Question is do they become immune to crovect if it's used regular do you have to keep changing products like a wormer???
[/quote]

I was told (by a retailer, not a vet) that if I'd treated with Crovect, I shouldn't switch to a different product during the season.
I also wasn't aware that Clik gives all over protection (like Frontline for dogs, I suppose) as I thought it was the same active ingredient.
I've just ordered more Crovect (although it's evil stuff), but would love to find an effective alternative .....
[/quote]      Not read anything about  flies or maggots being immune  .   You can switch once the product has finished protection .       DYSECT  /   VETRAZIN / CLIKZIN  / CLIK are all more effective and last longer than  CROVECT

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 11:50:40 am »
How do farmers manage their lambs on common grazing then?

They Clik or Crovect.

I dose the lambs when they're 3 months old and then again when I take them off their moms at the end of the year, I dose them with eblex usually :)

I assume you mean Albex?  Which is albendazole.  Eblex is the Beef and Lamb Executive.

Hopefully you don't use Albex on your Friesland ewes; it's not for use in animals producing milk for human consumption. 

I have had a few lambs with flystrike this year, but haven't lost one yet to flystrike. Have to be very careful in this persistent bad weather >:(

Some would say that knowing that a few animals will get strucken but that you'll catch it and treat it so that they don't die, is not good welfare.

The "keep 'em clean and keep a good watch'" approach is for sites which will get none or the odd one in most years.  Most of us who don't Clik or Crovect routinely would do the lot once it's clear that it's the sort of year when a few of them will get strucken.

You learn, from experience, what sort of strikes you get on your land, and with Crovect you can protect accordingly.  For instance, we very rarely get a shoulder strike here, so if we Crovect, we usually do heads and bums only.

But what is good management? 

1.  They are all dagged regularly and have clean bot bots.
2.  I poo pick every day because it's a chance to multi task and have my foster dog out of his kennel
3.  I crovect using their kit in a t across the shoulders, down the back and down the legs.

I have still had fly strike on the back, on the bum and one on the tum.

Is my only alternative to use clic?  I am checking daily and got one before any sign of distress, but what do I do elseways? 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »
Crovect is generally used around here on lambs that are destined to be sold as fat lambs, as it has a shorter withdrawal period.  Depending on where the flystrike is it can be hard to spot, especially for folks new to shepherding.  I've seen quite a few sheep belonging to new keepers with flies buzzing around them, or making small, jerky movements, or unable to settle, or rubbing their shoulders against a gate, all of which are signs of possible flystrike to me but which have gone unnoticed.  Being a prey animal sheep are hard-wired not to show pain but if you think about what it must be like for even one maggot to start eating the top layer of skin...?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 02:08:50 pm »
CLIKZIN  is 1 day less withdrawal and lasts 2wks longer than crovect

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:11 pm »
I think that there was done some study to suggest that the flies which land on the sheep, after all the chemicals, can develope an immunity to it, or there was certainly something to suggest an immunity of somesort being developed to it. It is the same with any type of chemical product, eventually the parasites develope immunity to the product and there has to be a new one created. Hence why I use natural products, they always seem to work. I worm my sheep about 3-4 times a year if that and they are in excellent condition, keep rotating them around onto good pasture, make sure the ground and grass is healthy, I will be planting herbal leys soon if all goes well..... Try and keep chemicals to a minimum with your animals and use when needed and they won;'t become resistent. Also using the right amount is key too, some people underdose which means that it doesn't kill everything and the worms left survive and build immunity. Alsio after worming move onto clean pasture after about a day or so, this makes their worm intake smaller, as they're not cleaning up after themselves and putting the worms back into their systems, which means less immunity build up on the worms part. i was reading on the dose manufacturers website, or was it an article in the paper? Anyway they said that after dosing remove the sheep from their old pasture onto fresh and keep rotating to prevent worm build up. Another good thing to do is to mix graze, if you can, I keep some sheep with the older buffalo and they all mix graze, get along well, it is important that they knew each other from an early age else they won;'t get on, and the sheep clean up after the cattle and vice versa. Keep rotating them around and worming every so often.  Sorry for the lecture ;D
It is a very good point that many people underdose which speeds up the development of resistance in worms. Make sure drenches are calibrated, ie delivering the dose they say they are, weigh or weigh tape the largest animals of the group to dose effectively.
Rotating grazing between species or cograzing with cattle, buffalo, horses alongside the sheep also helps clear up worms the other species drop.
However, dose and move is no longer advised. After worming animals, putting them on clean pasture means that only resistant worms survive, and the resistant population of worms very quickly becomes the norm. If put back on dirty grazing, the animals will take in worm eggs from the pasture, which have not been exposed to the wormer given to the animals, so the non-resistant worms will then outnumber any resistant worms in the animal's gut that survived the wormer, and dilute the percentage of resistant worms.
Please look at scops or the cows website on sustainable parasite control to read more about how to reduce the development of resistance as there is a lot we can all do to maintain many types of drugs as effective as possible for longer.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:06 am »
thanks for that [member=26799]fsmnutter[/member]  I will def check out, ta :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

sadlerlou

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 08:54:38 am »
I also think the fields they are in may play a role. Last year i had no problems at all with strike with the lambs kept in a large open field, this year they are in a field with a line of trees for shelter and ive had two with strike. There may be no coincidence but i thought it was worth mentioning. I sadly lost one and but the other has been clipped and treated and is doing well. As a newbie i often kept the closest eye on the backends for signs of strike however both cases have been on the shoulder. A hard lesson learned with the loss of a lamb :(. All have been treated with ectofly now and i will be adding this to my regular management as well as keeping a watchful eye.

I just wanted to say how this forum is a fantastic resource for the likes of myself who still find that everyday is a school day with sheep! Thank you!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 10:07:11 am »
why do you poo pick? Its the fastest way to rape your soil? You will end up with lower quality grass which will impact the growth and health of your sheep. Its one of the reasons horse pasture gets sick so fast!

The single best thing you can do to prevent it is rotate pasture, keep worms down and ANY animals that scour, dont breed from and remove them from your flock.

I have perhaps 1 in 150 now each year that scour and get shitty back ends, all from culling. Its a death sentence, concurrently removing them has also meant I have bred for worm resistance.

I do not click or crovect mine - I shear them late (Early to mid June) So the fleece is at its shortest during peak fly season, which is good protection, look over them daily, and as they are moved every 5-7 days they are handled.
Any that get struck are treated, they are also given a square notch to the ear and a sent for killing when ready - I've found by doing that I've reduced the strike rate on an UNTREATED flock, from 1 in 10 in 2011 to 1 in 120 so far this year. Interestingly I now have sheep with less wool round their bums and tails, and most of them have courser wool than usual for mules and lowland crosses.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 05:49:10 pm »
I have perhaps 1 in 150 now each year that scour and get shitty back ends, all from culling. Its a death sentence, concurrently removing them has also meant I have bred for worm resistance.

Studies have shown that there is very little correlation between dung consistency and worm resistance (there are too many other causes of scours)
The only way to breed for worm resistance is to measure individual worm counts and then breed accordingly

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:11:50 pm by Tim W »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »
I also think the fields they are in may play a role. Last year i had no problems at all with strike with the lambs kept in a large open field, this year they are in a field with a line of trees for shelter and ive had two with strike. There may be no coincidence but i thought it was worth mentioning.
                 Flies live in trees and dense vegetation , plus the trees cause the sheep to be damper than       large exposed open areas also more sheltered for the flies to move around , this is why smallholders seem to have a greater problem .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS