Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slapmarking  (Read 2859 times)

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
Slapmarking
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:40 am »
I am going to use a slapmarker rarther than ear tags for the latest pigs to go to slaughter just what kind of power is needed to make sure of a good mark. Any instructions would be much appreciated as you get none with the product.
Thanks

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
Re: Slapmarking
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »
When i did our pigs with the slapmarker i practiced on an old cardboard box first, it's just a firm tap on they're shoulder should do it.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »
Dont worry if you cant see the mark, it comes out on the meat.  As digit says a good firm slap. 

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:57 pm »
As above, if the pins are sharp - you only need to just puncture the skin, not knock the pig across the room with the force :-)

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:38 pm »
More on this topic...
2 of my GOS boars are off tomorrow morning. I decided to do the slapmarking on Thursday to give them a bit of time to forgive me (!) and am very glad I did because the boys really did NOT appreciate the treatment  :( and it took a good day and a half for them to stop jumping away from me (how guilty do I feel!)
Anyway I used the slapmarker from Smallholding Suppliers with the appropriate tattoo ink - the mark was very obvious on the day of the slap and for the next day as well - but now I can't see the mark at all. Is this ging to be a problem tomorrow morning????
Thanks
Tish

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:29:45 am »
I think it tattoos like ear tattooing so it will be obvious once they are cleaned. 

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »
Hi,

Just came across this post - how did it go? were the tattoos visible on the carcass? always looking for feedback on equipment we supply (either good or bad).

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
Hi
To be honest I have no idea if the slapmark was visible on the carcase as we had the pigs butchered by the abattoir so never saw the complete side. I haven't had any comments back from the abattoir to say there was a problem, though the abattoir is fairly small and our pigs were not in amongst a whole load of other pigs so identification problems didn't seem to be much of an issue.
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS