Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Shetland Possibly In Foal - Help  (Read 4520 times)

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
Old Shetland Possibly In Foal - Help
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
Hi

We bought a 20 year old shetland a few weeks ago with the risk that she was in foal as she had been with a stallion last summer (possibly not the best idea but we fell in love with her and given that she was in a bit of state too - hooves massively overgrown - we couldn't resist!). 

Having spent time with her and comparing her with our other shetlands we are convinced that she is in foal.  We have never had a foal before and would like some advice on what to do, should she be having any supplements, do we need to separate her from the others, what signs to look for when she is starting to give birth etc.

Any assistance gratefully received!!

Thanks

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Old Shetland Possibly In Foal - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:10 am »
aWWW bles the little lady.

If she is settled withe others i would not take her right away but if you have a little paddock or suchlike that she could go in but still inetract with the others that would be suitable.  I would not up her food make any big changes to her diet as this could be detrimental to foalie and mare at such a late stage. Make her comfortable with as little stress as possible.

When she gets closer, the milk vein under her belly will be more pronounced, as she get closer she ll bag up and show wax on the ends of her teats, also her muscles son her haunches (down the sides of her tail) will relax and become more flaccid in preparation. 

Saying that though some mares show wx or could run mlk and still take weeks, so also look for similar signs as sheep, restlessness, getting up and down, pawing  etc.

i hope she lll be ok xxx

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:42 am »
If she has given birth before then she will just get on with the job. If in any doubt when she has started to foal that things are not right phone the vet. 20 is not old for a Shetland to have a foal I have a friend who was surprised to get one from a 23 year old who had not had a foal for over four years. :horse:

AlexInLincs

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:58 am »
Hi

With her hooves being massively overgrown (she looks like a duck!) and the farrier due this week, would you get them trimmed or just leave them until she has foaled?  We don't want to stress her out but unfortunately know little about her history - reading between the lines she has shelled out a few foals in her time and is now no longer considered useful, but we fell in love so will deal with whatever happens!

Thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »
Others may disagree but I'd say that unless she looks in pain with her feet it might be worth waiting til she's foaled before getting the farrier out. We adopted a wee shetland mare many years ago, lovely placid sweet wee thing she was.............right up til the farrier walked into the field ! So if you're unsure of her history and she might get really stressed by this I'd be tempted to wait - unless she looks really sore.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »
i,ve only once seen a milk vein , and only had 2 wax up so i think the best clue is to watch for her bottom to go really soft [like a jelly if prodded] or check under her tail as she should elongate prior to foaling.do you know when she ran with the stallion as this may help to narrow it down. we do not do their feet 4 weeks before foaling but it depends on how bad they are really.do you have anybody close to you who has foaled down mares.just being nosey did you buy the mare locally, pm me if you want, we are a stud of 40 plus horses standing our own stallions.

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »
I would get the farrier to have a look at her feet, but not press if she gets stressed. There will be a lot of pressure on them particularly with the extra weight of the foal, and it would be better if they were a sensible length. It's not worth upsetting her unduly, but it's worth trying to trim her hooves.

One of our horses, Ragna, who is currently 33, was born when her mum was 32 (!). Ragna's last foal was born when she was 29, and she still misses having her own foal though she's a great babysitter for everyone else.

We have two foals here so far, another 3 to go.

Mic  :horse:

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
Ahh bless her, some sound advice here, just be judged by her she probably has seen it all and done it all before, just let us know when the new arrival is safely on the floor good luck xx

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »
Yep echo about the trimming, get her done after shes foaled :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS