Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trellis and climbers?  (Read 8702 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Trellis and climbers?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:05:31 pm »
I really need some ideas for ways to disguise and hide 2 things the OH has thoughtfully placed in out front garden - a large oil tank, and a large fan machinery thing for the air source heat pump.

They are pretty much next to each other with hedging and trees down the back side, but sit on full view when I stand in the front garden. So I was thinking of maybe putting trellis fencing in front of them and growing some evergreen climbers. The trellis in front of the tank needs to be about 2 meters tall and about 1.2 meters in front of the fan.

Also, on the far side of the fan I need to put some sort of cover there, BUT it is freezing as it is blowing out freezing air, better than air con in the summer! I am not sure what kind of plant would be happy growing in permanent freezing air?

Any suggestions on the climbers? they will be in the sun, but need to be easy care and evergreen.
Or - any other ideas for some design for covering the tank?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Trellis and climbers?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:05:00 am »
Not prepared to advise you egbert I don't know about plants shrubs or trees that will grow in cold continuous weather.I will warn you against a thing called Russian Vine its awful stuff and looks so pretty but its like twitch (couch grass) to you maybe it gets every where.We once lived next to a chap that planted one against the end of his garden shed and it took over the end of the shed the garden hedge and started in my garden until I treated it to a cup of sick well it made it sick Awful stuff ??? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:10:17 am »
I'd go for ivy, wouldn't have to be standard green stuff (though it's lovely too) I've got a lovely varigated one with creamy edges or there's boston ivy with it's gorgous red leaves - these are evergreen AND provide a great home for all the wee birds and beasties (and are soooo handy for xmas decorations too ;))
Have a look at these http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/CatalogProducts.asp?Keywords=ivy don't know about how well any plant would cope with continual freezing air though, sorry  ???
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:12:49 am by HappyHippy »

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
Clematis montana 'Elizabeth' is a popular climber and very hardy, though not evergreen, and is smothered in pale pink blooms in late spring even here in Aberdeenshire.  Hardy even means it re-grew after our young lab chewed through most of the stem!

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27:13 am »
Thanks guys - Ill look for some interesting Ivy - I already have a load of the standard green coming over from the neighbours house.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:48:12 am »
Just be careful not to let it near your house walls as it is invasive and acquisitive, and will take the mortar out from between the bricks or stones over time.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:56:17 am »
Reading the post has reminded me of an incident!!

When I first divorced I moved into a terraced house with a long narrow garden, it still looked pretty but my neighbours, both retired, had made thiers stunning, the whole garden was full of flowers all year around something was blossoming and giving colour and all around the walles and fences were an assortment of climbing plants, Jasmine, Ivy,Clematis, Wisteria, 2 types of Honeysuckle etc etc, so not only pretty but a wonderful smell!!! My new partner (16 years ago he was new) had never realy gardened before and did not like bits comming through the fence, I did, anyway, I came home one day and found he had cut them all off, that is all the bits comming through the fence, pluss some of our trees and shrubs and more  >:( I was not happy but a few day's later, my neighbour asked us to go and have a look at her stunning garden and guess what!! my man had cut off all the stems of the climbing plants that had taken years to grow the whole way around the garden and vertualy join up, covering her walls and fences!!! SHe acutaly was very nice and we did have a laugh about it and we bought them both a few pressies to help ease the pain, bottle of WHiskey, Gin, chockies and flowers!!! In the end she said it was OK as it identified a repair that needed doing, needless to say, he learnt his lesson.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »
My Goodness I think I would have been furious if the neighbour cut down my treasured plants. Lucky for him they were so understanding then.

I like the idea of honeysuckle, I like nice smelly plants.

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:40:15 pm »
My neighbours were wonderful, both retired and he was a magician in the magic circle, she had come from well to do life but now in a little terrace but worse of all was she had two of her three sons killled within 2 years of each other almost to the day, I think that is why she did not get mad!!! We loved them and the old man, now dead, used to take Steve out in his car like father and son!!!!!
They had Japanese honey suckle as well as the more traditional and the Jasmin was wonderful and smelt so sweet, I would plant several climbing plants so they would give colour at different times, and of course ivy for green, love green plants and ferns.
P.S. I had Russian vine too, it grows very rapidly and I was able to contain it but if left it will take over everything!!! Got a bit now and we need to get it out of the ivy, not even sure where it is sprouting from!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:31 am »
Tell you what Sandy Passiflora Careula is a very nice climber but it don't like the cold ??? :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:06 am »
Passion FLower  :love: We moved into a house and there was some of that in the hedge but when we cut the hedge it must have been cut off so no more passion in the hedge  :o

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:05 am »
Anyone got any suggestions for climbers in an area than gets pretty well waterlogged (about 3 or 4 times then drains fairly quickly) in winter but is fine the rest of the year.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:23:55 pm »
Annie love Of course I don't know what you want to achieve but will Bull Rush do the job I know its not a climber but some can get very tall

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »
I have a very wet front garden in the winter, due to a burn running down one side.  I've planted willow to try to soak up the moisture, but want to put up a fence across the front to give me a nice house garden with a separate paddock behind for the birds.  I've run out of cash so was going to put up fence posts (left behind by previous owner) and wire, so really would like climbers or a hedge.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:14:55 pm »
Annie i have a bit at the bottom of a slope that gets really waterlogged at times and I have 2 different kinds of honeysuckle that are doing well there. Also I think clematis montana can cope with pretty much anything! I have about 9 clematis varieties in full flower at the moment - beautiful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS