Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What on earth is it?  (Read 6053 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
What on earth is it?
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:17:33 pm »
I've got a hen looking very very sick. She had White droppings few weeks ago so I treated all for coccidiosis seemed to get better but today she's got runs again and when I picked her up and squeezed her crop brown fluid came pouring out of her mouth. I think I'm finally going to have to do the deed myself but what could it be anyone any clue?

Teresa

Re: What on earth is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:43:59 pm »
Hi mums chicken had a similar problem with her chicken with the hen being generally depressed, not laying and then brown "sicky" stuff pouring from the mouth. She took her to the vets and they felt her over and said she had a mass in her abdomen and put her to sleep. Have you given her body a feel?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:05:23 pm »
sounds like sour croop sorry about the spelling. there are treatments have a look on here and the net.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »
Just did and no no mass no egg stuck nothing? Comb looking little purple too. Very depressed tho I've avoided culling any of mine so far or should I say bottled out but it's getting too expensive to take them to be put to sleep. Also given I've just hatched some birds for meat then I'm going to have to do the deed. Anyone any bright ideas before I do later? If there's a chance it's treatable I'd rather have another go.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »
Thanks Paul will take a look now

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »
Sounds like sour crop to me too... Massage the crop and get any gunk out that you can, add some cider vinegar to their water and restrict the diet to simple pellets for a few days. Its usually caused by a combination of long grass and grains which some chickens find hard to digest. That and of course overindulgence LOL.

Sourcrop is curable and you should find a lot of info and ideas to try. Its very rare that it gets so serious that it requires an operation and can usually be sorted out easily.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »
Thanks Sam I read up as Paul suggested so am sat in vets now so they can give her some anti fungal stuff baytril was recommended or flagyl. Have massaged her crop have cider vinegar too so hopefully she will be ok.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
Well vet said it isn't sour crop after all she has a severe intestinal infection loads of fluid on her abdomen said she was just filling with fluid which is why when I squeezed her crop it all came out. She's very under weight too so mustve been poorly whilst we were away...I feel terrible to be told she's that sick and emaciated feel like a bad owner.
She's got a chance though so she gave her baytril and fingers crossed were not too late.
Any recommendations on what I can feed her up on need to get some weight on her again asap.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »
You're not a bad owner!! you took her to the vet after taking the time to notice that she was poorly, I think that makes you a very good owner  :)  no doubt you've been handed a hefty bill for your trouble too  ;)

i think in medical/vetinary terms the word emaciated is not meant to be critical, merely descriptive of a condition so please don't feel bad.

hope she picks up soon

Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »
and layer hens aren't exactly bulky are they?!
I agree with Lisa, not all owners would pay out and you're doing all you can so dont beat yourself up

all the best for mrs hen....
Little Blue

Alice

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
Do hope she responds to the antibs - we usually feed ours up with bread soaked in milk with some cheese cut up in it - they love it & it's packed with protein which they need.  Did the vet give any advice about feeding?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:18 pm »
Try my now famous porridge! ;D  Rolled oats soaked in boiling water, add honey and citricidal if you have it, or poultry spice if you have that, put in some milk to thin it a little and cool it down, then watch as it disappears!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 10:33:48 pm »
Thanks all. Just gave her more antibs and loads more brown fluid came pouring out of her. I feel so sorry for her she's such a tough bird vet said she had such a strong heart which is the only reason why she's still going. I put some bread with milk in but she's not touched it. I'm hoping she makes it through the night and the meds kick in so she starts eating tomorrow.
I know I've done all I can but still can't help feeling bad about things, ex bats are skinny but she's got really fluffy feathers so until she got sick I'd no idea she'd lost so much weight she seemed fine yesterday..
Yes Annie I have citricidal I used it when I did my liver detox also regularly give poultry tonic.
Fingers crossed she's still with us tomorrow and I can give it to her.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »
sorry i got it wrong. glad you did not bump it off thou. sounds nasty. but its not your fault chucks come down with bugs. they are either well very sick or dead. it does get expensive if you have to keep going yo the vet. ours are large animal practices and find it slightly funny if we take one in. they are pretty good and will supply most things without the chucks seeing the vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
How old is your hen? I have had to put one with exactly the same symptons out of her misery, but she was over three years old, and I cannot justify the vet for a hybrid hen of that age....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS