Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you "rest" your chicken ground?  (Read 2692 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Do you "rest" your chicken ground?
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »
My first bit of advice if you would be so kind!!

I have a fair amount of experience with horses, pigs and sheep but not so much with poultry! Logic tells me that gound should be rotated and rested, but is this necessary with chickens and other poultry?

Thoughts appreciated! :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Do you "rest" your chicken ground?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »
I think if you have the land available then yes, this is the best option, but many of us don't have that option, so the alternative is to make sure they are very well wormed and sheds  medicated for wee beasties, have a suitable ground base, and to ensure there isn't overcrowding.  I only have one area for my chicken run, but they are given free run of my front garden for a few hours each day - a half acre of grass, shrubs and trees.

Welcome to the forum from Clackmannan
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »
Thank you! I'm planning on sectioning 1/4 acre per hen house. We're hoping for about 12 ex batts in one pen for laying and probably the same amount of meat birds and ducks in the others ... maybe I should split this in half and rotate?

I'm a bit owrried about one of our dogs if I was to let them roma much further!! :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »
My dogs are HPR gundogs and wil retrieve pricked game so I keep them separate as the hens can't fly - the dogs treat them as injured and they have all been retrieved to hand - unhurt but it can be wearing! ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:19:40 pm »
Haha! My labrador deemed it his very important responsibility to retrieve all our kittens from the last litter - he bought them to us, then the cat came and took them back ... they were exhausted after 3 weeks!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS