Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken with a black combe/sad ginger chicken  (Read 3778 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Chicken with a black combe/sad ginger chicken
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »
Hi All,

I have a couple of question regarding our chickens.

Firstly i have a ginger chicken who is looking a bit sad with herself. She has not been her best self  for a few months but in the last couple of days has a messy bottom and walking like a duck. I have googled and perhaps it is peritinitus??? All the others are fine and dashing about but she is very slow moving. Any ideas what i should do? Her pal that we bought with her (two years ago) died last summer. The vet didn't know why but she had a solid stomach. They suggested a tumour (£50 later!). I am worried this one is going the same way.

Second Q - I have a perfectly healthy chicken, again one of a pair. She is 8 months old and feisty. However her combe is black and always has been. She is a blue bantam. Her pal has a perfectly normal red combe - any thoughts?

Appreciate your help as ever. :chook:

Sal

bamford6

Re: Chicken with a black combe/sad ginger chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »
OREGO STIM TONIC will sort most problems out with the gut and make the hens feel better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
one of my bluebells has a black comb while her sister has a bright red one. both lay well and are healthy. very strange!

sorry to hear about your ginger girl though  :(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:41:32 pm »
That's good to know thank you. Sadly our ginger chicken died Friday night. Very suddenly in the end. I think she knew we were on to her. They are funny creatures. You never quite know what is going on with them.

Sal

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
oh dear  :( that is a shame.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS