Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guidelines for chicken space?  (Read 2192 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Guidelines for chicken space?
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
Is there somewhere that gives you recommended minimum spaces for chicken runs (or if you enter a run size, tells you have many chickens is wise to put in?)

Trying to rejig the garden for veg and chickens but I don't necessarily trust the sizes given on the various chicken house seller pages. Tried Domestic Fowl Trust and can't find anything and google isn't that helpful as its giving me 101 different sizes!!

Edit : If it helps. I have a single eglu I'd like to re-use. I want a walk in run for them, and I'm wanting 2 or 3 chickens, probably hybrids but maybe bantams. Minimum ready made run is 6ft wide by 6ft long (by 6ft8in high) and you can make it longer in 3ft increments.
Because its nice and high, I plan to give them a bit of an activity center - logs to jump on, a swing, a plant or two, stuff like that for spoilt pet chickens :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:30:57 pm by nutterly_uts »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Guidelines for chicken space?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:01:33 pm »
you could refer to the soil association requirements which stipulates the no per sq m. I dont have it on me at mo but I'm sure you can google it.  This is more commercial then domestic but gives indication.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:13:34 am »
http://www.organicagcentre.ca/Docs/AnimalWelfare/Soil%20Association/Welfare%20standards%20organic%20v%20free%20range.pdf

Table is on p5 but summary if you don't have time:

Free range minimum standard is 12 birds per square metre housing, 15cm perch space and access to 4 square metres per bird outdoors for defined periods (can be rotated between 2 lots at a rate of 2.5 square metres/bird overall).

Soil Association standard is max 6 birds per square metre and 10 square metres per bird outdoors continuous daytime access.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:50:14 am »
I wouldn't bother with plants, unless you plan to hang up a bunch of bolted lettuces or similar - they'll destroy them in a short time.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:19:57 am »
Two square metres permanent run space each is the absolute minimum Nutterly. Any less than that and you will get behavioural problems, even with perches and other distractions. Hybrids tend to be highly strung and you may get problems anyway with a lot more. Bantams requirements depend on the breed. We have 4 Leghorns in 9 square metres and they seem OK, but still try to escape whenever possible.

foxy

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »
If it's of interest I'm going to be selling my 6 month old walk-in run in a couple of weeks.  It's 3m x 4m, fully enclosed, perfect for a few hens.  It was a gift, but I have 8 hens now and it's too small for long winter days when they won't be out free-ranging.  Cost £350 so thinking maybe £200?.  Renfrewshire. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:16:11 pm by foxy »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS