Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milk testing  (Read 2535 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Milk testing
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:37:11 am »
As you may know, if you read our blog posts, we're now milking our three cows. We have a cleaning procedure in place but I'd like to have the milk tested to make sure that the procedures are working and that the milk is clean.

I'd also like to get the BF and protein tested, just for interest. National Milk Laboratories do all these things but the depot is at Hillingdon - so too far to drop off and if we post it the Bactoscan results won't be accurate.

Anyone any suggestions / thoughts?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Milk testing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:11:01 pm »
What does Christine do?  She's also too far to drive to Hillingdon.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 03:17:11 pm »
What does Christine do?  She's also too far to drive to Hillingdon.

Good question. There are other drop off points nationwide - unless you are north of Stirling  ::) If you are selling to a processor, I presume the bulk tanker driver picks up samples.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:33:30 pm »
You can just post off samples, to nmr, some of us goatkeepers do monthly milk recording, Ayshire goat club only one left in scotland doing milk recording at the moment, we have sample pots with preservative fill with milk and i do extra seal with insulation tape and put in plastic bag and jiffy bag, post to secretary who puts everyones in box and takes to lab think she actually works at the lab in Ayr.
Ask for diy kit posted to you from NMR or maybe worth seeing if ayrshire goat club could add in your cow samples in along with the goats as you have to pay for a box of samples regardless of how many there are. Thats how milk recording clubs work well by sharing out the cost, more that do it the cheaper it is for all. We get butterfat%, protein % and somatic cell count back.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 02:38:08 pm »
Another option could be local environmental health or sac lab may do it. Nmr seems to have a monopoly on milk testing now a lot of labs the milk recording clubs use to use have now stopped. also local dairy farmer? send with their samples?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:12:01 pm by Talana »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS