Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb chewing wound - help!  (Read 2456 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
lamb chewing wound - help!
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »

We had a fly struck Soay lamb 2 weeks ago at the base of her tail. Caught it early and cleaned her up - the area of broken skin was only the size of a small coin and looked quite superficial. Cleaned and covered with Sudocreme twice a day (plus a shot of longacting ABs plus Crovect ) - it seemed to heal well at first but then she started chewing herself down to raw bloody flesh. What was a small patch of 1cm across before it now a good 2 inches and looks awful despite continued 2daily Sudocreme application. I have tried to cover the wound in some way - tried fashioning t-shirt coats for her, then tried tying fabric to her fleece, but either gets ripped off within hours and in any case any covering up of the wound it seems to make her even more determined to snap at her behind and I fear she is chewing through the fabric until it comes off.
I spoke to the vet who recommended another shot of ABs she has now had, but she couldn't think of anything else except Sudocreme and coats. We both agreed that a dog-type collar would freak her out and would be dangerous for a sheep (she's freaked out already by the t-shirt coats).

I'm getting desperate at this point... how is this wound ever going to heal?!
Any ideas on what else I could try??
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: lamb chewing wound - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:03:23 pm »
I gather a long tail if she can reach it.  Have you considered asking if she could have it shortened/amputated? So she can't  reach  it.  Sounds like she's fixated on it.  Or is there a possibility that a colony has been overlooked? x
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:08:16 pm by Hellybee »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:09:32 pm »
A really thick coating of Stockholm Tar , tastes bad and stops black flies  landing and irritating the wound and sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:16:52 pm »
I gather a long tail if she can reach it.  Have you considered asking if she could have it shortened/amputated? So she can't  reach  it.  Sounds like she's fixated on it.  Or is there a possibility that a colony has been overlooked? x

Soay have tiny short tails Hellybee. 

My thought as HB's was that you may have missed a patch of strike - it can be quite extensive, so have a good search and take the fleece off her whole back end.  In fact, take it all off.  The Stockholm tar is horrible and gets everywhere (or it does for me  ::)) but it does work.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:18:55 pm »
Ok, wasn't sure, difficult but not insurmountable tho, I agree with tar amazing stuff,so useful, I love it x

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:50:54 pm »
Thank you all for your input.
Yes, her tail is short HB, the wound is at the base of the tail (where it connects to the rump) so she can reach it - as a Soay she is small and bendy!
Definitely no other flystrike patches and no more maggots in the wound, have checked several times, and the fleece is off halfway up the rump. She is definitely biting the wound itself and not chewing elsewhere.

Will try and get some Stockholm tar in the morning...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS