Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Back in the saddle!  (Read 5474 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Back in the saddle!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:32 am »
Horses behave badly for a reason and it just takes one person to listen and take the time to work out why they do the things they do. Well done to you and I hope all keeps going on a good note. I spent over a year trying to get Dolly to wear a bit, some days she would accept with no problem but getting the bridle off became a nightmare even to the point she would start to rear. I will never know what happened in her past, vet can find no problems in her mouth yet her fear is very real. She is now in a bitless bridle and hacks out with my young friend Stacy. I have started breaking her to drive again bitless and will see how things go. At 6 years old she is too young just to stand in the field, due to back problems I have not ridden for years but was lucky to find Stacy after my granddaughter gave up. Dolly hates change and worries but underneath all her problems is a very sweet pony.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Back in the saddle!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:31 pm »
Pharnorth - sometimes that's the bravest, most responsible thing an owner can do for a horse, rather than let it be passed from pillar to post, you have my respect. 

Sabrina - sounds like you've found a solution she likes, hope the driving goes well  :thumbsup:

I have been riding pretty much every other day  :excited: and am still having to pinch myself to make certain this isn't some wonderful dream that I have to wake up from at some point!  Did have a bit of a set-back on Sunday, I obviously moved the electric fence too far on Saturday and he was a bit footy on the drive from the grass, so we went for a hack up the hill on the common grazings (just over the road) instead of the planned roadwork, which we both really enjoyed, and then after 20 minutes' gentle schooling in the field this evening, I walked him in-hand up the drive, which is gravel and he finds harder to walk on than the road, and he was striding out freely, so hopefully a bit more roadwork tomorrow evening, if it stays dry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS