Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boers  (Read 2931 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Boers
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:59 am »
I'm pretty sure there are people on TAS who keep Boers. My younger goat is 1/4 Boer 3/4 Saanen and has become very vocal, especially when she considers it's feeding time. She can't actually be hungry because they have hay ad-lib.

Her mother, who was half Boer was just the same. I know Saanens are generally quiet and my other goats - all Saanens - haven't made more noise than a quiet Baaa of greeting when they see me unless they are in season. I haven't had any complaints from the neighbours yet but it is possible as we live in a built up area.

Any suggestions?

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Re: Boers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:25 am »
I have no suggestion but can only comment that our boer x girls also make a lot of noise when it's time for pellets so I empathise!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:28 am »
I keep Boers, Golden Guernseys, Angoras and have also kept Bagots.  I have had 50% boer 50% saanen and also 50% Boer 50 BT.  I think it is a case of some goats are just noisier than others.  The 2 angoras I have got at the moment have had to be moved far away from the house as they were just too noisy for the neighbours young children to go to sleep.  Some of our boers are noisy but it seems to go down a female line!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:19:07 am »
Agree with Cuckoo think you will find its more individual goats some are more vocal than others
Daughters do tend to follow mothers traits   
I have mainly 100% boers and a few 50% and i consider them quite

That is all bar one around feeding time she shouts the house down, even after she has been fed if you are in sight with a bucket she starts.
Others barely make any noise unless a kid has its head in a fence or something like that

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:22:55 am by mart6 »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
Yes I've noticed my boers are more vocal, but more of a moany noise that a bleat, but a 50% cross that I was thinking of keeping is a more goaty bleat, still more frequent though. Maybe they are just more impatient  than Swiss Goats?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:11:27 am »
Agree with Cuckoo think you will find its more individual goats some are more vocal than others

That's worrying. Her mother turned out aggressive, despite being bottle-reared, and ended up in the freezer after I got fed up with being knocked flying.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 09:33:38 am »

That's worrying. Her mother turned out aggressive, despite being bottle-reared, and ended up in the freezer after I got fed up with being knocked flying.

Aggressive to you ?
Generally or just at feeding time ? 
Part about traits were along the lines a noisy mother the daughter tends to pick up on follow the lead
Aggressive part not noticed a problem before  but  be worth watching see if daughter follows moms lead
Always possibility of a extreme but i would not let it put you off the breed
Maybe i have been lucky and mine are extra placid, or possibly it could revolve around feeding regime.

Find mine are creatures of habit feed them at the same time every day if possible , they tend to be waiting quietly assembled , place feed in troughs then let then into separate feeding area.
To avoid getting knocked over like most goats they are feed orientated , probably a little more so.

Obviously Bucks are quite vocal when does in season
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:41:29 am by mart6 »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 01:23:56 pm »
I wouldn't say mine were aggressive, maybe it's because they are bullied a bit by the Toggs, but they are a but scatty/panicy,  if they want to get past me or feel cornered they just put their heads down and go for it, whether I'm in their way or not. Interesting the youngest, 12month, isn't as bad,  wondered if it was because she was disbudded, main problem is their horns bend out to the side and catch my leg as they go past.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS