Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose with a prolapse *update*  (Read 3287 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Goose with a prolapse *update*
« on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:26 pm »
UPDATE - Sorry about the graphic pic. This is what I thought was the prolapse but today she has totally expelled it and it literally just fell off. No bleeding and she seem ok. Any thoughts? Seems really odd! I will see how she goes but I have no idea what it is now... could she abort her reproductive system? So weird!

hello

One of my Chinese geese has prolapsed today. "Google" says its due to a lack of calcium and to push it back in. They have access to oyster shell grit which I see them eat daily and they also have lots of grass and grain etc. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this and stop it from happening? I am guessing unless he stops laying it will happen again tomorrow! I am in South America, the vets where I live are either dog, cat or large animal vets. I have called them and they said antibiotics and if it continues to happen PTS... not all that helpful with regards to actual practical solutions I could try!

Any help/suggestions welcomed!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:20:13 pm by roddycm »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Goose with a prolapse
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
Roddy, I had the same problem with a hen. There are lots of videos on youtube that show you exactly what to do but basically its this...

make sure the prolapse is clean then put some honey on it, the sugar helps to shrink it, and then gently push it back in. You will probably need someone else to hold the goose as its bigger than a chicken but I found that I could hold mine with their head under one arm and their bottom facing outwards.

Push it in gently and hold it there for 30 seconds or so. You will probably need to do this several times. I think mine was 5 times a day for the first couple of days and then it stayed put. The chicken never laid again though.

It felt very strange when I first did it but you soon get to understand what going on and once you get it right the prolapse is virtually sucked in with a gentle push.

I hope this makes sense
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »
I really wouldn't use honey this time of year, it'll be a magnet for bees and wasps. Just pop into the shops and get a haemorrhoid cream for humans like Prep-H, just don't tell the pharmacist it's for an animal or they're not allowed to sell it to you.

Then proceed as per Bionic's instructions, it's essential to be very slow when reinserting it.

I've had a few birds that prolapsed over the years, they were fine afterwards and laid again. Only 1 had to be put to sleep after the second time (and only her 3rd egg) as too much of her insides had come out, happened whilst we were in holiday and the tissue had become necrotic, she had only just started laying.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »
Thank you both very much! Its actually winter in my part of the world so I will try with the honey first... natural sounds good!

Thanks for the advice, hugely appreciated! I try not to let the farm animals become pets but the chinese girls were hand reared and they are just the most wonderful birds. So loving and friendly! They follow me everywhere and love a cuddle! I must find a way to fix her, she doesn't seem very well in herself though :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 07:30:38 pm »
Thank you both very much! Its actually winter in my part of the world so I will try with the honey first... natural sounds good!

Thanks for the advice, hugely appreciated! I try not to let the farm animals become pets but the chinese girls were hand reared and they are just the most wonderful birds. So loving and friendly! They follow me everywhere and love a cuddle! I must find a way to fix her, she doesn't seem very well in herself though :(

It can't be pleasant for her. So hopefully she will start to feel a bit better once its back inside.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Goose with a prolapse *update*
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:22:32 pm »
Yuk, sorry, I'm not experienced enough to know what this is.

Any ideas from anyone else?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS