Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two questions - transporting chicks and breeding  (Read 1787 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Two questions - transporting chicks and breeding
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:19:27 pm »
1. Transporting chicks

Toby has been telling EVERYONE about the arrival of our incubator chicks and wants to take them to school. I think this would be a lovely idea and would go with him to 'supervise'. However, we have a 10 minute car journey to school, and I was wondering about transporting them. Should I put a hot water bottle (not too hot!) under a towel in the bottom of the box I'll be taking them in, and then put the lamp back on when we get there? We won't be staying at school too long.

And my next question...
2. Food for breeding hens?

As we've had a sucessful hatch, I'd like to continue breeding from the Buff Orpingtons, I have 9 eggs under a broody at the moment and another clutch waiting to either go in the incubator once I've cleaned it, or it looks as though we may have another broody they can go under - will check again tomorrow. Do breeding hens need a different food? At the moment they're on layers pellets and mixed corn. Is there such a thing as 'breeders pellets'? All advice gratefully received!

Sharon

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Two questions - transporting chicks and breeding
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:08:10 pm »
Yes, you do get breeder pellets - different formulation to layers pellets to promote fertility so really for using before they go broody  :)

I've brought them from Cupar to here, about an hour, in a warm car and they've been fine so 10 minutes shoudl be no problem. If they were with Mum, they would be out chooking about at a day old.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Two questions - transporting chicks and breeding
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »
Thanks Rosemary - as we managed 9 chicks without breeder pellets, I think fertility is not an issue, but I will definitely have a look next time I'm at the farm store. Just didn't want to ask for anything that didn't exist!! I guess Breeder pellets would provide more nutrition for a broody who only comes out to feed once a day?

Looking forward to taking chicks to school now - I'm a very proud mummy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS