Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creating a rockery with large stones/small boulders  (Read 3984 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Creating a rockery with large stones/small boulders
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:54:01 pm »
As the title says. I have had some pipes put into the ground, but they had to dig out a lot of rock to do this. I now have loads of big rocks and I was wondering what to do with them? I'll try and post a pic tomoz of them. I heard on gardeners question time 2-3 weeks ago about creating rockeries and they mentioned certain plants to put in between the crevices, once filled with mud which would make it look really nice. They also mentioned alpine strawberries, just wondered has anyone tried this method and if so how did you build it to make it all work?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Creating a rockery with large stones/small boulders
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:56 pm »
Yes, did it in 2005 when i built my house - ginormous boulders dug out when they were putting the footings in. Had to get the digger to move them about.

But a smaller one is easier,  John managed that himself - lots of help on google This one's quite good http://www.gardenseeker.com/landscape_gardening/building_a_rockery.htm

We made a lot of mistakes, and it's not easy to change things once the plants are in - rocks that didn't match in shape or colour; plants that outgrew their allotted space very quickly, so check the mature size before you plant.  Alpine strawberries are very pretty, and sweet - but they're so small you hardly taste them.  so they're useful for their looks rather than for their food value.
Alpine plants with gravel under them, are good,

Have fun, good luck, and post photos throughout the build cos we're nosey beggars  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:03:41 am »
Have a good look through 'rock or alpine gardens images' to see what you like and what makes you cringe.  A bad rockery is really bad - you'll know your own style.  There are so many examples to see online, just to give you a base line to start from.
I like a naturalistic rock garden, where the rock placement mimics what you would find in the wild.  A mound of stones, or a pile of soil with a few rocks spread over the top looks fairly awful to my mind.
Use a soil:grit ratio of 1:1, as a rock garden needs to be well drained, especially in winter.
When you place your rocks, make sure you leave crevices which can be planted up and backfilled.
If your rock garden is to be quite large then tiny alpines will be lost, and are best planted in troughs (stone cattle troughs are perfect).  There are plenty of rock garden plants which tend to be a little larger, such as creeping thyme, phlox subulata, phlox douglasii, dianthus, gentian, and many others which give a better covering to a largescale rockery.  Include a few larger plants such as tiny alpine willows, miniature juniper etc, but do check their final size.
Alpine strawbs are not really well suited to a rockery for two reasons - one is that they prefer a damp slightly shaded position, the other is that they seed themselves around if they do like where they are, so although they are tiny they will take over.  I find them delicious.
I might manage to post some pics of my rockery and alpine troughs to give you some ideas.  Mine is made from local stratified rocks, so easier to make them look natural than big boulders possibly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:45:18 am »
Depends what you mean by big rocks and what sort of rocks. You could get creative with a chisel and make all sorts of stuff from a simple BBQ pit onwards... or use them as a heatsink along the base of your proposed vineyard.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:57:59 am »
I'm not a fan of a rockery, (took the one here out with digger at first oportunity) but I saw something awesome at a gardens in Pitlochery the other week - thin, flat rocks, from about 2" to roof slate thickness and laid on their ends, so all sticking up above the ground, with little gaps in between with soil for planting. Looked almost like scales on a reptile or something, really arty and def something I would consider putting in.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:43:20 am »
I'm not a fan of a rockery, (took the one here out with digger at first oportunity) but I saw something awesome at a gardens in Pitlochery the other week - thin, flat rocks, from about 2" to roof slate thickness and laid on their ends, so all sticking up above the ground, with little gaps in between with soil for planting. Looked almost like scales on a reptile or something, really arty and def something I would consider putting in.

I've seen those but I think they're horrid  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
I read that as "creating a rookery", then thought "that's never going to work - they nest in trees don't they?"  :thinking: .

I'm going back to bed.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »
If the rocks have strata lines on them try and place them so they're all heading in the same direction.  Angle the rocks so that they slope backwards slightly - this will take the rain towards the plant roots. Rockery plants like good drainage, not necessarily to be dry.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:08:39 pm »
that is a very good idea [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member] will definitely try it. Now I just need to find a place to put it..... What soil would you recommend using?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS