Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone near Dartmoor zoo  (Read 5322 times)

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Anyone near Dartmoor zoo
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:58:42 pm »
Just to be aware there's a lynx escaped

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone near Dartmoor zoo
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:59:58 pm »
Oh exciting  (though not for local sheep farmers tho)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:06:58 pm »
Small ponies in small paddocks will look easier to a lynx not used to hunting for a living.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:49:42 pm »
Well at least Dartmoor finally has its mythical cat! Just the wrong colour!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 09:08:43 pm »
I thought it quite ironic that there were all these warnings not to go near it as it will be dangerous yet they want to release them to live wild up here  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:03 pm »
apparently it only arrived there last night, irresponsible or what!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:58 pm »
I suspect the warnings are because the one that has escaped is habituated to humans and as a result is not as inclined to avoid them, but will still revert to instinct if cornered.

Wild predators tend to have great aversion to humans since we have hunted them for millions of years, so they will stay well away from us given the chance. The odds are that virtually no-one would ever see one if they were re-introduced.

I also think have a rather strange perception of risk from wildlife in this country. Virtually everywhere else in the world lives with significant predators - there are lynx, bears and wolves across Europe, plenty of big cats across Asia, Africa and the Americas, plus the large reptiles, sharks and so on. Often in very close proximity to humans. Human fatalities from these are tiny in number compared to those from other humans or our creations, like cars.

We have co-existed for millennia and our bath-tubs are more dangerous :-)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 10:13:51 pm »
We live about four miles from the zoo. Been away all day today but no sign of strange cats when I went to lock the hen house. I hope they find it soon, it must be so frightened, and completely disorientated.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »
I also think have a rather strange perception of risk from wildlife in this country. Virtually everywhere else in the world lives with significant predators - there are lynx, bears and wolves across Europe, plenty of big cats across Asia, Africa and the Americas, plus the large reptiles, sharks and so on. Often in very close proximity to humans. Human fatalities from these are tiny in number compared to those from other humans or our creations, like cars.

i don't know about others but my concern is my livestock if they introduce them here. We border woodland which is prime territory for losses
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:03:38 am »
I suspect the warnings are because the one that has escaped is habituated to humans and as a result is not as inclined to avoid them, but will still revert to instinct if cornered.

Wild predators tend to have great aversion to humans since we have hunted them for millions of years, so they will stay well away from us given the chance. The odds are that virtually no-one would ever see one if they were re-introduced.

No one thinks human safety is an issue with the introducion of predators into the wild but all over the world there is conflict between wild animals and farmed animals leading to the death of both.  Elephants are not preditors but are in danger due to the damage done to crops, Britain is a small area and wolves and big cats in far larger areas cause trouble and get killed for it so why should here be any different?

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:46:24 am »
i don't know about others but my concern is my livestock if they introduce them here. We border woodland which is prime territory for losses

I agree that risks to livestock are a different issue but I was responding to the comment made about warnings not to go near it because it could be dangerous  :)

In terms of livestock it would be an interesting exercise to compare the potential scale of losses due to, eg lynx reintroduction, to the scale of losses from other existing causes such as husbandry practices.

Other parts of the world have and are working out ways to live alongside wildlife better, rather than just killing it when it presents an inconvenience. So the use of bees to protect crops against elephant raids, livestock guardian dogs to protect goats from cheetah and so on. I would like to think that an innovative country such as ours could work out something suitable here so that our environment is once again populated by the things that are meant to be here.  :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:09:54 am »
problem is though [member=147294]Black Sheep[/member] with their reintroduction the people doing it have not taken into account that the lynx have been extinct in britain for well over 100 years and habitats have changed. I can absoloutely say with a certain amount of knowledge that the moment they start causing trouble, and are getting to be a decent sized population, the numbers will not be managed and they will be protected by these idiotic loonies who think badgers are cuddly; in other words disastrous, plus the lynx is a big cat it can take out calves let alone sheep. In that case why dont they reintroduce wolves, bears and loads of other wild animals which were made extinct here hundreds of years ago? Habitats change and unless they have a regular food supply which doesnt involve attacking farms and people I am going to protest against it! These idiots dont care about livelihoods and enviroments all they care about is seeing it in its old habitat, which it has been extinct from for hundreds of years, they dont care about its welfare just about oh how nice it would be.  I say leave it where it is and where it belongs now, we already have escaped panthers running around the country we dont need yet another predator to worry about! Soz for the rant guys I just get very annoyed with it all!  :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 09:41:16 am »
problem is though [member=147294]Black Sheep[/member] with their reintroduction the people doing it have not taken into account that the lynx have been extinct in britain for well over 100 years and habitats have changed. I can absoloutely say with a certain amount of knowledge that the moment they start causing trouble, and are getting to be a decent sized population, the numbers will not be managed and they will be protected by these idiotic loonies who think badgers are cuddly; in other words disastrous, plus the lynx is a big cat it can take out calves let alone sheep. In that case why dont they reintroduce wolves, bears and loads of other wild animals which were made extinct here hundreds of years ago? Habitats change and unless they have a regular food supply which doesnt involve attacking farms and people I am going to protest against it! These idiots dont care about livelihoods and enviroments all they care about is seeing it in its old habitat, which it has been extinct from for hundreds of years, they dont care about its welfare just about oh how nice it would be.  I say leave it where it is and where it belongs now, we already have escaped panthers running around the country we dont need yet another predator to worry about! Soz for the rant guys I just get very annoyed with it all!  :rant:
Totally agree!  Going back in time is never a good idea!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:43:26 am »
Lynx and wild boar don't seem to be a problem in Germany - but yes, the habitat is different, they have a lot more woodland.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
The lynx which has escaped is described as the size of a large domestic cat, and as being scared of humans.  Traps baited with raw meat have been placed around the area in which he escaped.  He will be caught and returned to captivity.

In reply to the point about the danger to the welfare of any currently extinct-from-Britain wildlife on re-introduction, their welfare within a zoo is decidedly suspect.  To shut a wild animal in a cage, totally out of its native habitat has to be wrong.  How would them being out in the wild be bad for their welfare? They could be shot but that is accepted as a humane way to kill any animal.

I don't see any evidence that 'these loonies' intend to populate the whole of Britain with vast flocks of vicious, dangerous animals which will kill people and destroy entire farmloads of livestock.  Any reintroductions will be carried out extremely carefully, and with close support.  See the reintroduction of the great bustard in Norfolk - very carefully done.  See the support of the Scottish wildcat - a hugely difficult task.  Wildcats live with humans but it's very rare to see one, or even to find evidence that one has passed that way.

So let's stop panicking folks - just one little cat has escaped and he's hardly likely to create Armageddon before he's recaptured.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:15:26 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS