Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suckling goat advice needed, please.  (Read 8223 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Suckling goat advice needed, please.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 01:01:57 am »
Looking forward to hearing the result :-)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 08:33:40 am »
Hope you have success with the bra - mine just nibbled it off - one other thing that I found worked really well was a small amount of micropore on the teats - left quite untidy so it was uncomfortable for the kids to suck on. Bitter alloes is also supposed to work well but I haven't tried that.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 10:39:25 am »
Pom came out of the shed trailing her bra this morning. It is now back on (dirt and all) but tied tighter this time and I will keep an eye on her during the day and report back tonight after milking.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »
a bit bemused by the fact that her udder appears to be lower.

How come her udder is lower... did you not use a 'lift and separate' or a 'push me up' bra???   :innocent:

:roflanim: :roflanim:  I think I went for the wrong cup size. Maybe she's more of a C cup than a triple G.

By lunch time it was off again. I think it's time to go on to plan B.

Hope you have success with the bra - mine just nibbled it off - one other thing that I found worked really well was a small amount of micropore on the teats - left quite untidy so it was uncomfortable for the kids to suck on. Bitter alloes is also supposed to work well but I haven't tried that.

Was your goat ok about having the micropore ripped off at milking time or did you just milk her with it on?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 12:40:57 am »
Tried the micropore last night. This morning I replaced the bit she had lost overnight on one teat. This evening  there was no milk again. This time I have put the micropore over the holes in her teats. If that doesn't stop them I give up.

Is there any chance she has just dried up? In July?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 11:53:02 pm »
SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Or half success anyway. One teat came uncovered and that side was empty but the side still covered yielded what I would have expected. Both covered again after milking and she returned to the others. Korma immediately stuck his head under for a crafty slurp but was thwarted. :roflanim:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 12:56:43 pm »

Was your goat ok about having the micropore ripped off at milking time or did you just milk her with it on?

My girl was fine about having the micropore taken off - it never stuck so much that I hurt her.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:12 am »
It's working well apart from the odd occasion when it comes off. She doesn't mind at all when I take it off but her head is stuck in a bucket of food when I do it.

Any idea how long it will be before the kids give up looking?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 06:19:59 am »
They will keep looking for several weeks especially if she encourages them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »
They are separated by a hurdle?
Would it be possible to tie some mesh Weld mesh? to the hurdle?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 12:20:06 am »
They're not separated at all. I could divide the shed but not the outside area and I don't want to keep her or the other three shut in all the time. The micropore is doing the trick and I'm getting the full amount now.  :D :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 12:08:01 am »
Well, when I went to milk her last night, the micropore can come off one side but I still got the full amount so decided to try her without any. Tonight, there was no sign that anyone had suckled so I think we've cracked it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS