Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep ready for slaughter? what to feel for?  (Read 3382 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
sheep ready for slaughter? what to feel for?
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:15:50 am »
Ok I know that I should know this already, being a sheep farmer, but I am a little out of practice. I have a ram lamb coming up to 6 months, he is nice and big and possibly getting there weight wise, I don't have scales so am using the hand method on pins and shoulders. He is a friesland x Pure Torddu, can someone please tell me what amount of fat I am supposed to feel ver the shoulders/pins please? I seeming to get it a bit wrong.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: sheep ready for slaughter? what to feel for?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
I would check short ribs and tail.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:11 am »
So what would you be feeling for to see if he's ready, Hellybee?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:42 am »
Try EBLEX  BETTER RETURNS ,  its just the same as condition scoring ewes  , which every one who keeps sheep should learn to do

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:12:24 pm »
 In order to tell is a sheep is fat enough for slaughter you need to feel the top of the tail, just before it joins the body.
Once the main body of the animal has developed a certain ammount of fat covering, the fat starts to develop on the tail bones, starting at the top.
 So an animal is ready for slaughter when you can feel the fat filling in between the individual spinal bones of the tail, so the bones actually feel padded, as apposed to boney.
 You would be better getting an experienced farmer, or even possibly your sheep shearer to show you.
 As for your ram - I would take him in now anyway before sheep prices drop. If you've had him on good spring grass he should be ready and if he's not then he never will be, as unlimited spring grass is unbeatable for finishing stock. So you've nothing to lose by taking him in now as a Friesland x Torddu is never going to be the most desirable meat animal in the market. While you're at market get some helpful person (there'll always be someone happy to demonstrate their knowledge!) to show you how to grade a sheep. 

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:23:14 pm »
In order to tell is a sheep is fat enough for slaughter you need to feel the top of the tail, just before it joins the body.
Once the main body of the animal has developed a certain ammount of fat covering, the fat starts to develop on the tail bones, starting at the top.
 So an animal is ready for slaughter when you can feel the fat filling in between the individual spinal bones of the tail, so the bones actually feel padded, as apposed to boney.
 You would be better getting an experienced farmer, or even possibly your sheep shearer to show you.
 As for your ram - I would take him in now anyway before sheep prices drop. If you've had him on good spring grass he should be ready and if he's not then he never will be, as unlimited spring grass is unbeatable for finishing stock. So you've nothing to lose by taking him in now as a Friesland x Torddu is never going to be the most desirable meat animal in the market. While you're at market get some helpful person (there'll always be someone happy to demonstrate their knowledge!) to show you how to grade a sheep. 

Ahhhh I am killing him for home consumption, I have another one as well, friesland x welsh x pure Torddu, so I will be getting him in too. I will get my brother to help me i think, as he managed to get it right last time. Thanks for the advice I will definately have a feel and see! Thanks again for the advice guys
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS