Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do hens hide eggs?  (Read 4111 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
do hens hide eggs?
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:31 am »
I know my ducks do it when they get broody, but do hens also hide their eggs in the garden? One has not come forward with an egg for a week or so, she's been laying crinkly shelled eggs before since she started off in spring. Or maybe something is wrong with her?? :&> :chook:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: do hens hide eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:09 am »
My hens lay away from home, broody or not.  Its sheer luck I find them, as they are free range in the field.  Yesterday for example, I heard a cackling sound as if a hen had laid, coming from the conifers at the top of the field.  Climbed over the fence, hunted through the thick branches, and another bantam was just coming out of a nest with 12 eggs in.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »
We occasionally have one lays away, but it's been pretty unusual.

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »
What kind of hens do you have?  Here is the nest my silkie/araucana cross made last year in deep bushes between the gas tank and the garden shed. She seldom lays in the nesting box and seems to like a secluded spot.  I got her some hatching eggs after finding this nest and have two lovely light sussex pullets this year. 

I read on the net that you should place a pepper corn in the vent of the hen who is laying away from the henhouse then watch her closely.  The peppercorn causes a slight irritation (but does no harm) and gives the hen the impression of needing to lay an egg.  She then makes for her hidden nest and, voila, you have found it !  I have never tried it so good luck if you do.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:25 am »
I better have a good look today - yesterday I had all 3 eggs and hers was no longer crinkled. Maybe she was recovering from something after all.
The peppercorn reads like quite a challenge - first of all making sure you got the right bird, then catching them (they are quite shy) and then the procedure itself!
But to your question, JOC - my friend thinks  they are Lomond Browns (but I could not find a picture to confirm this), possibly a local variety of Isa Browns?? I suspect they are crosses as they look almost identical but their eggs are a different shade of brown and one has white earlobes...
I must put a picture up to find out for the fun of it :chook: :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:45 am »
I do find its the bantams and silkies that tend to lay under bushes etc.  One is persistant in going next door and laying in his garden. I told him to keep the eggs  if he found them.  He said he has searched but no luck so far :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:54 am »
Lohman Brown - A very popular choice especially with children, friendly and inquisitive, laying about 320 good sized eggs, often double yokers. Very placid and easy to tame.  Many Ex Batts are Lohman Browns.
http://www.lohmanngb.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »
Thanks, Annie! I image googled them and they do look the closest to mine I could find although their tailfeathers are a bit darker.  :&> :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:41:13 pm »
no, Isas they are not, it's definitely a Lohman tail, just a bit darker than they appear on the pictures . I thought it was spelled Lomond, lol, after the hills ...my mind always works locally  ;D

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:27:19 pm »
Roxy, get yourself a pot egg and leave it where they are laying, they will lay with it and you won't have problems finding the eggs.

Hens like to lay a clutch of eggs and then sit on them. So they will lay in the same place unless you move all the eggs and then they will find another 'safe' place.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »
this works to a degree with the ducks, too. I had bought some ceramic eggs but they do prefer the marble or stone ones you find in charity shops or crystal places. the colour doesn't seem to bother them. My smallest duck just loves a giant marble egg which is the size of a goose egg, if she lays outdoors, this is where she puts hers...golf balls are supposed to work for hens, I've heard so I have one ready if needed. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS