Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer problems  (Read 4229 times)

Treudnamara

• Joined Oct 2013
Deer problems
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:28:51 am »
A couple of deer seem to be wanting to eat all our fairly young trees. Many have tree guards or are in exclosures but the larch for instance are very vulnerable. Any suggestions apart from deer fencing around our entire perimeter, which is currently unaffordable ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Deer problems
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:16:43 pm »
I knew someone used to get lion poo from Longleat and hang bags of it off the fencing around her young orchard - she reckoned it did work.  Whether the deer became habituated to it, and started to come back, I don't know - I moved away and didn't keep in contact.

Otherwise, can you have a dog that can roam around the area?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
alternatively you could set up a venison business :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »
Where are you based? I'm sure there would be someone close by more than willing to take care of them for you. Providing they're in season of course.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:01:59 pm »
Hmm can't agree with that one I'm afraid. I know they'll be half joking but seasons are there for a reason.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:02:05 am »
I think if deer are causing damage there is an exception clause that says that those marauding deer can be shot in any season - look it up, if it's just one or two damaging your trees then I think a pest controller is allowed to shoot them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:51:00 am »
I'd hate the thought of having shot a hind and her youngster dying of starvation :-(.
Different laws in Scotland, Google 'deer cull season'. Some useful advice.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:07 pm »
I think if deer are causing damage there is an exception clause that says that those marauding deer can be shot in any season - look it up, if it's just one or two damaging your trees then I think a pest controller is allowed to shoot them.
To shoot deer out of season (in Scotland) you need authorisation from SNH. You can get an out of season licence to shoot stags easy enough but you would very rarely (if ever) be given authorisation to shoot females out of season due to the welfare issues. To get out an out of season licence you have to show that you have tried everything else possible to control the deer during the open season. A night shooting authorisation (in season) would be more common place in controlling numbers first. 

But to be honest a couple marauding (roe?) deer isn't a deer problem. Try managing a 1000 acres of newly planted commercial woodland that is unfenced and has large herds of red and sika moving through daily.   

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 12:03:51 pm »
I am pretty sure that you don't need to actually apply for a license to shoot males out if season as it is covered by the SNH general license, although as stated you have to exhaust other options first.
There is a short period out if season where the general license covers females too but for the key part of the breeding season they are strictly off limits.

A couple of roe might not make an impact on a thousand acres but they can decimate a small area.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 12:45:58 pm »
How about running some electric tape around them. I'm sure the deer would soon learn?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS