Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loose Mineral Pat Coleby- have you tried it?  (Read 2076 times)

FrancesV

• Joined Feb 2016
Loose Mineral Pat Coleby- have you tried it?
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:11:37 am »
Hi Everyone,

Has anybody put out the full lick ( loose minerals) to their sheep ?  ie these components:

Dolomite
Copper Sulfate
Fine Yellow Dusting Sulfur ( 99%)
Seaweed Meal

Pat Coleby says to carry out a soil anlysis first and consult your vet ( both of which I am in the process of doing)

There is also a NZ site that recommends the addition of ground Himalayan Salt:

http://www.fertilefields.co.nz/drupal/animallick

Wishing ewe well,

FrancesV    :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Loose Mineral Pat Coleby- have you tried it?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »
I don't know that specific one, but did use loose minerals (from Paul Keeble) one season on the moorland farm.  The only problem was keeping them dry. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Loose Mineral Pat Coleby- have you tried it?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:12:24 pm »
Every farmer used powdered minerals and now most use drench or bolus ,  as sally says difficult to keep dry and in order to make them palatable they add salt/spices so you never knew if the needed it or just like the taste plus some ate lots and some nothing .     Best to blood test and give specific min

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS