Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clipper blades  (Read 1787 times)

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
Clipper blades
« on: July 03, 2016, 03:55:42 pm »
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice please. Given we've only got 7 ewes needing done we decided to have a go with hand shears. Needless to say the sheep in question now looks like a fluffy cloud and the wool board would laugh at the fleece. Hey ho, we've all to start somewhere....

I've got a set of wolseley swift clippers for my horse. The most course blade I can get is the A7 which says its for cattle and is 3-4mm. The shearing blades are 4-5mm and seem to be a more rounded shape but unfortunately aren't suitable for my clippers. Has anyone used the cattle blades or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm going to caveat this with yes I realise it won't be easy and given it'll cost me more to drive the fleece to the wool board I'm not too bothered about it being done to 'standard', I'm just looking to part the sheep from the fleece!

The poor ewe is oddly now standing baaing at her fleece in a forlorn manner. I'm sure that can't be normal. I think she must be pretty mortified by her new doo!

Thank you for reading

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Clipper blades
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »
You can't do sheep with horse/cattle clippers, you need a different head stock and blades for sheep. I know this as I've just been down this route myself! Ended up buying sheep clippers.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:09:35 am »
Just practise with the hand shears, can't expect the first one to be brilliant and if you're not interested in using the fleece it doesn't really matter too much.
What breed are they?

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
Thank you for the replies. I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Cest la vie, it would have been too simple if one handset did all.

Yes will just crack on with the hand shears. Will need to do at least another one tonight if it stays dry as the girl from yesterday seems to be a social outcast! They're pretty much generic white Heinz 57 sheep! Bit of texel, one with a bit of Suffolk, a couple with a bit of Lleyn. You get the drift. We just wanted some easy to keep girls that knew their job with the lambing for our first couple of years. We'll get a bit more technical with the breeding with the next batch we buy to increase our flock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS