Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm testing kits  (Read 1729 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Worm testing kits
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:05 pm »
I've been looking online at worm testing kits for my two donkeys. There is the faecal test and also a saliva test -
I'd like to know if I need to get both?
We wormed them when we got them (early March) and I'd like to make sure we're doing everything right for them so any advice re worming and testing for worms would be much appreciated.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Worm testing kits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:25:27 am »
I like to get mine checked out a couple of times a year, they usually come back not needing to be wormed.  You only need to do the saliva test once a year as it tests for tapeworm, the Westgate labs will advise on wormers to use if you ask them and they are very helpfull without the vested interest of selling the drugs.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Worm testing kits
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:45:17 pm »
Faecal test is not intended for tapeworm tho you do occasionally get a note about them being spotted in a sample.  Saliva test is I think more for that on its own and not for redworm which the faecal count covers.  But I'm not sure either includes encysted redworm so watch your timings.  I'd do the faecal count once or twice a year personally, and only retest if you get a high count on redworm so you can see if your worming is effective.  I've not done a saliva test as I worm for tapeworm twice a year May and September roughly, which isn't as much hassle as the variety and risk of resistance you get with regular redworm worming which can be 4-15 weeks depending what you use. 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS