Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Round' looking Soay  (Read 3662 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
'Round' looking Soay
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:44:53 pm »
One of our Soay ewes looks very 'round'. They are about 5/6 years old and not been lambed for the last 2 years. We have 8 of them on about 2 acres of roughish hill grazing. Fed ad lib hay in winter and tiny amount of concentrates every week ..... just to keep them tame really.

Our Soay naturally vary a lot in size, shape and fleece type. This ewe has always been 'rounder' looking but this seemed to become more exaggerated towards the end of the winter.  Looks a bit 'bloated'. Both sides appear even. Caught them up a couple of nights ago to roo, inject and Crovect. Her fleece was very heavy and came off easily but underneath it was down to bare skin in many places ..... other ewes had new fleece already growing. Although very round looking her spine and hip bones are more visible than they are on other sheep .... not sure if this is due to how her fleece has come off and being 'bare' in places. Behaviour is normal really though she has appeared at times to be a touch slower than the others. Sat with them this morning and can't really say that she seems ill or anything. She is grazing as normal and stays with the flock.

Could this be a problem or is she just getting fatter as she ages and hasn't lambed? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:02:43 pm by in the hills »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: 'Round' looking Soay
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
I would say that is not normal  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »
Any ideas what the problem could be FW?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »
First thoughts would be loss of fleece is often due to stress of some sort and are you absolutely sure she's not in lamb?  I think a word with your vet may be in order.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »
Thanks MF.

She is running with 2 Soay 'wethers' but was with the same 2 boys last year and no lambs so don't think she could be in lamb. Always possible that a neighbours tup got in I suppose but check them several times each day and not seen any intruders. Could she have been caught through the fencing??

Will check her bag.

None of the other ewes look as round though they do look plumper than in past years.

Will catch her up and get the vet to look over her as soon as I can. Will probably take a few days as they are very wise after being treated. :P

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:11:22 pm »
No visible bag and her bits look normal. Grazing, cuddling as normal. Looks heavy underneath as well. :thinking:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:29:42 pm »
I have an old girl who is very bloaty looking, only noticed since shearing but could have been longer. She seems fine otherwise but will be culling at weaning.

Skin looks itchy/ licey?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
maybe she has some sort of growth inside? It doesn't look like fat, its more of a swelling. If she were fat it would cover her spine too. I would ask the vet... if you have a nice friendly farm vet who knows about sheep that is! Hope she's ok :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:13:35 pm »
I'm sorry, I have nothing to add, beyond that a visit to the vet is the only way you can know for sure.  A few years ago I had a Heb ewe who looked as huge post lambing as she had before.  One side was larger than the other though.  I never did discover why she was like that, but she lived for years, and lambed several times  ???   But your Soay is worse than she was.  One way to find out if it's fluid or air is to place one hand on the swelling, then tap with the other, all over.  If air, it will sound hollow, otherwise not.  You could also try pushing the belly from side to side and listen for sloshing, and put your ear on her side and listen for normal bowel sounds.
Don't forget that sheep are prey animals and will look well sometimes until the last moment.  I hope it's nothing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:15:32 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »
 For a sheep in its prime and not lambed for 2 yrs she is very lean cs looks 2 or less and skin /fleece not healthy looking , when  a sheep is very lean they can look  round  , when was she last  wormed /fluked   ? is her mouth ok  front and side not a cud spiller is she ?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:50:35 pm »
Thank you all.

Will ask my farming neighbour to have a little look at her first of all. He will probably be able to rule out the possibility of her being in lamb by just looking at her and might have some ideas. He lets out some of his land now so there were texel tups in the field next to theirs but I don't think it's that. Will just rule that out first because wouldn't want to stress her if any chance she was.

They have been wormed\fluked but can treat again ... will speak to vet about her and best treatment.

Fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS