Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making puppies...  (Read 6974 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Making puppies...
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:32:51 pm »
My labrador bitch is on heat and she has a candidate lined up... this has been planned for a while now and finally the timing is right. Today we set off for their first date. She was very receptive and stood quite still waiting for him to do his stuff. All seemed to be going well and then embarrassment struck, the dog had not one but two cases of premature ejaculation. Never come across this before, any advice on what to do. We are going to try again tmrw and fingers crossed he will be able to control himself until he can get it in! No other way of explaining this really! Its both of their first time but she is very sure of herself... Any advice gratefully received!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Making puppies...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:21 am »
Is your heart really set on this dog? It may be better to use a more experienced dog and not risk missing her ovulation. There are plenty of nice hip/elbow scored/health tested Lab stud dogs out there.
Did you progesterone test her?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:39 am »
I had this when I tried to mate Misty, dog was too inexperienced and just didn't know what was required.  Went to a different stud and used a proven dog the next day.  He was "on it like a car bonnet" within 2 minutes of her wiggling her ass in there.

I would cut your losses and look up a different stud.

*this may not work if you are 600 miles from the next stud dog xxx

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:11 am »
Poor dog!  This is just like going for a job interview and being told that although you have all the right qualifications, you don't have enough experience. What's a dog supposed to do?  Go round humping legs until he can prove he has enough staying power to see the job through?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:12:37 pm »
He is getting a second chance today and if he fails she will go sttaight on to another dog a little further a field. I particularly like the head on this dog but the other one is experienced and is also very nice. Fingers crossed he will be able to do the job! I suggested to the owner that he cold guide him in but he looked horrified at the mere suggestion haha a friend who breeds jack Russell's told me it's common practice.... oh well what will be will be!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »
Yes, I've seen breeders give the dog a helping hand.

Are you holding the bitch still?

Is she exactly ready .... often they hold their tail to the side?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:27:06 pm »
Yes, I've seen breeders give the dog a helping hand.

Are you holding the bitch still?

Is she exactly ready .... often they hold their tail to the side?

She stands still with no need to hold her. She has had all her tests and the time is now! The problem is the male who can't get it in before he ejaculates! I think we will just have to help him poor chap! Off to take her now, fingers crossed all will work out today!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 09:34:47 pm »
He was on it like sonic today! Worked first try so I guess he's a quick learner! Now just have to wait for the pitter patter of tiny paws. No matter how many animals you breed I find the excitement of new life never decreases. We have at least 8 people who want a puppy already without even spreading the word. All nice farm homes too. Can't wait!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:45:04 pm »
He was on it like sonic today! Worked first try so I guess he's a quick learner! Now just have to wait for the pitter patter of tiny paws. No matter how many animals you breed I find the excitement of new life never decreases. We have at least 8 people who want a puppy already without even spreading the word. All nice farm homes too. Can't wait!
What's their hip scores?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:24:13 am »
My girl is a perfect 0:0 and he is a perfectly respectable 2:2 both from a long line of working dogs. No show type dogs for me! To each their own but I love the athletic working labs :) My gorgeous girl is a total machine out in the field and a sweetheart in the house... obviously I'm biased but she is perfect in my view haha

She's a black lab and he's a dark yellow. Looking forward to a nice mixed litter of wee ones.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:36:51 am »
I think you might find that you are legally obliged to post picture of said gorgeous Labrador  ;)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 03:47:01 pm »
I've never had luck posting pics, something about size I will try harder and post pics... expect puppy pics too! I should point out I am in south america, so they will be spring babies :)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »
Here is a pic! Bonnie on the roller bales... its winter here :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
She's lovely .... you can't beat a working lab! :love:

Always had blacks until our fox red girl.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 05:37:29 pm »
Yes love the blacks too! The dog we used is quite a dark yellow if I got a fox girl I would be very happy and would def keep her!  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS