Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a difference a week makes!  (Read 1677 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
What a difference a week makes!
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
OK, I went on holiday for a week leaving behind my two young Copper Stars who were getting friendly and let me stroke them, and very nosy, trying to get out of the door to the pen everytime I opened it, and 3 timid ex-bats who ran to the other end and hid.

I left them in the care of my MIL, who I believe has spoilt them rotten, giving them fresh veg every day, possibly every hour, talking to them all day long etc.

So I have come back to 5 hens who sprint to the door every time I walk near them, shouting away at me, who peck at my hands and feet if they come near the pen, let alone if I try to put my hands in, and just now one of the Coppers leaped into the air with a little flutter to peck at my fingers as I leant on the pen.

I preferred it when I could open the door without being seen as food - is this normal happy hen behaviour, or do I have to establish myself as boss. Cats are so much easier to understand!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What a difference a week makes!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:05 pm »
Yup, that's happy hens!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »
mine are just the same. they only have to hear the back door open and they run like the clappers towards me - shouting as loud as they can.
not had too much pecking although they do go for my engagement ring sometimes!!
they do go for painted nails though - I think their love of red grapes confuses them if my nails are ever varnished (not that I bother that often  :) )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »
My two have decided left over cat food is worth a bit of a peck and come running when I shout the cat for it's fresh tea and I take the morning dish away - OH just thinks everything everthing come's whatever I shout!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS