Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: zwarble x texel lambs what weight for being sent to slaughter?  (Read 3367 times)

Farmerfi

• Joined Sep 2015
 :wave:

Hi all, this is my first year trying lambs going for slaughter, ive had sheep for a couple yrs on a very small scale but only sold as breeding but this yr really wanted to try lambs for slaughter, could anyone tell me will my local mart take my sheep for sale when at slaughter weight and if so am i right in thinking about 40-43 kgs?or do i have to get them butchered myself as not keen to do that as want to see how i get on trying to sell them on for slaughter if i can do that or is it best to sell them as store or fat lambs, I do ahve enough grass to keep them a few more months

thanks for any help

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: zwarble x texel lambs what weight for being sent to slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:30 am »
You could put them in the fat ring at market or sell direct to the abattoir. But selling to commercial buyers which both of these would be will limit the profit and they would need to be the right grades to get the best money- over fat or overweight and you'll be heavily penalised. Have a look at eblex they have fantastic guides on lamb grading and advice on when to send for slaughter based on condition as well as weight.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »
I'm not sure if this helps, but I used to send my Lleyn's and Lleyn x's for slaughter at 35-40 kg per lamb, or as fat lambs. Have you got a weight crate at all? Or could you borrow one? They tell me at mart that they set the scales back a bit, not sure how true that is.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
Depending on the number you have, your local mart may be happy to send a fields person to have a look at them for you, and advise.  Can't hurt to give them a ring and ask.  When I had Swaledale lambs as well as Texels out of Mules and Mules, it was very helpful to have the mart's fields person on board, as they knew the specific markets which wanted that type of lamb.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS