Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats :/  (Read 3349 times)

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Rats :/
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »
Don't know if 'wildlife' is the right section of the forum for this!

Over the past couple of weeks I had started spotting signs of rats having a go at the chicken feeder. Then suddenly we were seeing a big fat female sitting right on top of the wheelie bin, outside the kitchen window! Bit too up close and personal thank you! It was shortly followed by several smaller ones so I realised we had a growing problem.

After a couple of days of this I plucked up the courage to dust off the air rifle and the big female's next appearance was her last. I have to say whilst it is an unpleasant way of dealing with them from my point of view, it is probably much more humane than poison, not to mention safer for my dogs and chickens.

Anyway, after getting rid of the big one, I haven't seen a single rat since. Hurrah! Do you think I have somehow scared off the others?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Rats :/
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »
I would say either they're in hiding and only come out at night or you have killed the bigger problem which was the mother. Even still I would recommend putting traps down with poison in them, just make sure nothing else can get to it! If you find the dead bosies then dispose of before anything can eat them and somewhere where nothing can get to them also.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »
I read your post with interest Creagan as we are having the same problem - rats going into the chicken run, eating out of the feeders etc. We're also very unkeen to put poison down because of our dogs and chickens.
I just wonder how you knew it was a female rat? Can you identify that just from looking at them? I'm amazed how bold they are, we've seen one in the run during the afternoon and early evening but when we've put traps down (once the chickens are shut away for the night) the next morning they're tripped but there's no rat there.
Getting to be a real issue.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:34:46 pm »
We have rats eating the chicken food here, but don't think there's many.
Can't be bothered to do much about it really.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:37 pm »
^ Can I say I think that's a mistake?  Firstly there are always more than you think there are, and secondly if they have food, water and shelter, they won't stay as 'just a few' for very long. For your sake, and the sake of your neighbours, I'd get it dealt with now, before the problem gets bigger.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:08 pm »
I have my neighbours to thank for the problem in the first place- they had a big problem and it has now spread to me. I have raised the feeder as high as possible and fingers crossed this will be enough to stop the littler ones from reaching it.
I know it was a female because with males, you can see their bits- or at least you can with pet rats (which we used to have. Tame, clean ones are quite nice creatures).

I'm in the north of Scotland so at this time of year there is almost no 'darkness' to speak of. The chicken feeder comes into the (human) house overnight as well.

I will keep monitoring the area for signs that they have returned...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:38:43 pm »
The "several smaller ones" you saw will, in no time at all become several larger ones; and in an equally short time will have multiplied into dozens.
 I always reckon that if you actually see a rat on your premises then you've already got a rat problem. Mostly you see more evidence of their presence a while before you  see the actual animal.
 I read somewhere that for every rat you see there's likely to be another 25 or so hidden underground.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:21:05 pm »
As others have said if you see one there's many more you haven't. Having food around in hoppers is always going to be an attraction and not much you can do about it if you have anything on ad lib feed.

Shooting one will not have sent the others packing.

We put out blocks which we nail to pieces of wood and put where dogs and chickens can't reach them. We also put them down the hole. If you scatter willy nilly then they will drag the bait back to their nest and there is more potential to have them drop it and your dog or chickens to pick it up.

I read some where recently that people do not get rid of their problem because they under estimate the population they are dealing with so don't put enough down and don't put it down for long enough. That was from a professional rat catcher.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 07:22:18 am »
Commercial chicken feed contains vitamin K which is the antidote to many types of rat poison so feeding both chicken feed and poisoned bait is just fattening rats, you have to make sure the rats do not get the chicken feed.  I found the best way was to give the chickens several meals a day and remove the feed between times until the rats were no more.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
Another option is the treadle type feeders which require the weight of the bird on the feeder to open the access to the food. (hence eliminating access by rats)

I believe they go under the trade name of grandma or grandpa feeders.

They are quite expensive but I have been considering them myself  as I am a strong believer in that if there is no food source you will not get vermin.

Ad lib chicken food is an open invitation to rats.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:50:01 pm »
We have seen a couple of rats lately
We keep pigs and they love the pig nuts. Also we supplement the goats with cattle pellets twice a day and the rats love any that are dropped on the floor when the goats are eating. I have always been worried about using poison as we have two very daft labs that attack anything that moves. However our quail were wiped out by a rat this week so I am going to get them. Which poison do you suggest we use given that there are dogs around?
Thank you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS