Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Non-lambing ewe with large udders  (Read 972 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Non-lambing ewe with large udders
« on: June 06, 2023, 10:10:41 am »
Hello everyone - I haven't posted on here in ages, but always interested in others' posts. I have a tiny flock of sheep that I keep for their wool. I have a Shetland ewe of about 11 years. She's never lambed and there's no chance she's been 'jumped' by a ram. She's always had larger udders than the others, but after having her shorn yesterday I can see they seem to be much bigger. They don't seem to cause her discomfort and she's healthy and happy. Has anyone any ideas what might cause this please? Could she be a 'maiden milker'. (She's not easy to catch so I haven't tried to test for milk)
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Non-lambing ewe with large udders
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:32:02 pm »
I've never come across either maiden milkers in sheep nor such a swollen whole udder in a maiden ruminant.  (The udder is the whole organ, so is always singular - unless referring to the udders of several females collectively.  Individual sections of the udder are called "quarters", as they are in cows, even though the sheep usually has only 2!)

I did have a heifer became swollen in one quarter, which the vet called "felon", just clear liquid, no evidence of infection.  She had a benign wart on that teat which had pulled the opening open, so we imagined a fly had got in and caused the reaction. 

I'd want to get my hands on her and check for heat, hardness, discomfort and yes, milk.  Any of the first three she needs urgent treatment (try udder mint if it's very mild, otherwise she will probably need antibiotics.)   

When you say there is no chance she's been jumped by a tup...  What about unknown fertile males? Could she ever have been kept with an imperfectly castrated wether or a natural rig (one or more testicles internally, could have been mistaken for a ewe lamb when checking... it happens!)?  Internal testicles can become fertile in extreme cold; we and many of our farming neighbours had unexpected lambs born on May 10th/11th one year after a real deep freeze (sub -10C) in the mid December previously! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 02:48:09 pm »
Thanks Sally, I've just caught her and felt the udder - no heat or hardness and she doesn't flinch if I palpate it. No sign of milk from the teats (of which she seems to have 3!). I've sent some more close up photos to the vet and am waiting for them to give me a call.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 05:41:47 pm »
Update: Had a chat with the vet - she suggests that as the ewe is otherwise happy and healthy and shows no sign of infection, or discomfort when udder is palpated, the cause may be a response to oestrogen from the clover in the grass. That's  not something I've ever heard of - may be of interest to other TAS-ers? Will keep a close eye for any changes of course. Meant to add that she definitely can't be pregnant as the only male in with them is a 12 year old wether and I think any undescended testicles would have dropped by now!  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:18 pm »
Oh!  I had completely forgotten, it was so long ago now... but yes I *have* seen it before, a flock of 18 unbred gimmers all suddenly bagged up after being moved onto a fresh sward rich in red clover!  Well done your vet, sorry I didn't recall that earlier. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 10:58:36 pm »
That's really interesting about the clover.  We have clover but mainly in the tups' field - maybe that's why they're such ladies  :D 8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 12:43:35 am »
I bought empty 12 ewes from a breeder who was giving up. Come spring with the lush grass they all bagged up to the point that I called the breeder to ask if they could be pregnant. He said it was not possible as the ram had died and there were no other rams about... by the end of summer udders shrunk to match my weaned dry ewes and then they were tupped and pregnancies and lambing progressed as normal... I think in my case it was the flush of good grass. Not a phantom pregnancy but certainly something hormonal due to the good grass and change of season. In any case, they were fine so long story short unless she looks poorly I would not worry too much :)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 07:25:03 am »
We had a couple of cull ewes a few years ago - that supposedly couldn't have been anywhere near a tup. Until 3 of them lambed about 2 months early ::) we then found out the neighbours stock fencing wasn't soo good & they had tup lambs in for July & they crossed the river to get to our ewes!

messyhoose

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 05:25:32 am »
i see you already have your answer from your vet, but to confirm i have also had a non breeding yowe "bag up"  every year. Vet checked previously- not infected and only clear fluid comes out, so we now leave it as im more concerned i will introduce infection by opening the teat. We concluded Is due to good grass and yes we have clover (though white clover) in the pasture. I think maybe  non-breeding is not "normal"  (even wild sheep breed annually) so thats why goats and sheep tend to do odd things when we dont breed them (i had maiden milking golden guernsey goats a long time ago too)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS