Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yellow crust around lamb's eyes?  (Read 4765 times)

sheep lady

• Joined Jan 2016
Yellow crust around lamb's eyes?
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »
My Shetland lamb has a yellow crust around both eyes - the eyelash line.  I bathed with warm water this morning - any ideas what this is as I can't find the exact diagnosis on the internet? 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Yellow crust around lamb's eyes?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »
How high is your grass? Grass pollen in his/her eyes?

sheep lady

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 06:31:36 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Some of the meadow grass is knee high so that could be the problem.  Thank you very much for your help, I'll keep bathing the eyes and top the grass. 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 07:49:25 pm »
Have you looked at conjunctivitis  (pink eye ) can cause crusting to the eye lids ?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:58 pm »
Do the eyelids roll in? Sometimes if the eyelashes rub the eyes, it causes irritation and sores, causing tears and crusting of eyes.
Alternatively an eye infection such as New forest eye could be causing crusting.
If the eyes are irritated by anything, it can be very serious as eyes have a very thin surface before they rupture, so if in any doubt, prompt, aggressive treatment for the condition at hand is necessary.
I think it would be worth a trip to the vet with it if you're not sure what it is.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS