Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting out  (Read 5177 times)

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
Starting out
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:37:19 am »
Hi I'm Simon and new to the site.

I've decided to retire from my day job as a DT teacher and become a smallholder - a life long goal and I can finally afford to do it - I hope!

My plan is to find a suitable property in Dumfries and Galloway to buy, spend a year or so working in my holidays to get things set up (fences, veg beds, the house, do a few courses etc), then move in. The aim is to use my current salary to cover some of the set up costs before I just have my investment income to live off.

I'm realistic that I won't make a living from small holding - it is about a lifestyle not money.

My goal is to gradually expand into keeping chickens turkeys ducks pigs goats sheep and maybe eventually a few cattle. Ambitious I know but not all at once!

A very open question I would like advice on if anyone can help. I'm looking for somewhere with around 12 acres including a bit of woodland, I've got a long list of desirables for the property and know I won't find the perfect place (I have plenty of time to hunt).

So what would be your top 3 'must haves' if you were hunting for somewhere? Big question I know but I'm hoping the experience out there will help me prioritise!

Thanks in anticipation!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Starting out
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:53:37 am »
Hi, Simon. Welcome to the forum.

My 'must haves' would be 1. fairly flat 2. good soil. 3. well fenced.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:22 am »
No near neighbours
Decent grass
Plenty of sheds

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:07:21 am »
Hello Simon, all of the above would be lovely but I think the best thing of all is good neighbours. Neighbours can make your life Heaven or hell!
Good luck in your search, you'll know the right place when you find it. You'll feel comfortable about it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:13:23 am »
Proximity to a good abattoir and butcher; access to a market for produce.

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08:36 am »
Coming to realise the things you can't change are probably the most vital. Everything else comes down to time and money - you can replace a fence but you can't move a market closer!

Why flat land? Obviously steep hill sides are not good but gentle slopes must be okay?

Unfortunately you don't get to choose Neighbours and hard to tell what they are like before you buy? Any tips there?

Thx

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:24:40 am »
Any tips there?

Look as objectively as you can at who they seem to be and how they live. Ask yourself whether any of what you plan is likely to impact on them adversely.  Apart from that, go with your gut instinct - it will probably be correct!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 11:37:59 am »
Hi Simon and welcome  :wave:

The first thing we checked on viewing smallholdings was the soil - we took a spade and dug out several holes in various locations.  We also looked at the vegetation growing, and what the general crops and livestock were in the area.

For us the views were essential.  We looked at various places in enclosed valleys, or surrounded by houses etc, but the only place we fell in love with is high with lovely views, so we don't feel shut in.

One possible place we looked at had those lurking big flies which drive you mad, so we didn't even bother looking around.  I would be miserable with those.  Midgies are bad enough  ::).

There was one big barn here, but we have since put up various sheds great and small as the need has arisen. You quickly learn to put up fences, plant trees, care for livestock etc

Our ground slopes a bit and that is fine - we wouldn't like dead flat fields, and round here they would be wet and possibly acid anyway.

We were always prepared to renovate the house, so its state didn't matter.  We have just about finished doing up this house, and we have been here for over 20yrs  :roflanim:

For us we had to be within some kind or travelling distance to our jobs, although neither of us goes out to work now.

I would say though that the deal was clinched when we both asked ourselves "can I see myself living here happily in 10 years?" and answered with an overwhelming "yes".  And here we are 20 years later :thumbsup:

Sorry - you wanted 3 points........

ps what is a DT teacher?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:41:10 pm »
A DT teacher is design technology (woodwork and metalwork really) so the practical side does not worry me.

The actual house is less of an issue providing no serious money needs to be spent on it (less in invest in the holding) Happy to tinker away on that making it 'home'.

Land and location appear to be more important. Seen a couple of properties but not found 'the one'.

Apart from the PH (have test kit) what did you look for in the soil samples - I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it is the work of years to create great veg beds unless you buy in soil. I have considered that for my future poly tunnel but it costs a fortune!

Taken me 5 years to turn my current veg beds from a field to good soil - even then I recon they still have room for improvement!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:22 pm »
If you find a really good soil, then apart from adding manure, compost, seaweed meal and sometimes wood ash each year, you shouldn't need to do much to build up a useable soil, constantly replenished.
There are lots of gardening and agriculture books which tell you how to assess a soil.  For example you want to see if it's sandy, clay, loam, or in our case volcanic (from a very long time ago I'm delighted to say  :o).  best wet to check this - rub some between your fingers to see how gritty or slick it is, squeeze a handful and see if it claggs together or doesn't stick at all - or midway, which is ideal for most purposes.  Estimate the humus content by feel and by the darkness.  There are ways of doing this involving jars of water and letting the layers separate out, but a bit difficult to do in the field.
What you are looking for is if the soil is heavy clay, which will be impossible to work when wet, slow to warm up in spring and forms a surface pan easily.  Clay is very fertile though.  If you have a sandy soil then although it will be workable all year round, and warms up quickly, it is so free draining that nutrients are washed out quickly, taking any fertility with them, and it doesn't provide for much root stability.  The ideal is somewhere in the middle.
The surrounding natural and farmed vegetation can tell you something about the soil.  Certain species of plant like sandy soils, dry soils, wet soils, acid soils, rich soils and so on.  Look at what there is growing and work out from there an idea of what you will be able to grow.

Time I went and did some work in my own soil........ :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »

Why flat land? Obviously steep hill sides are not good but gentle slopes must be okay?

I didn't mean dead flat but flattish. I'd still want hills round the land though. The reason I said flat is because I have mobility problems.

And I agree that good neighbours are important.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:30 am »
Also flat in terms of a reasonably level surface for a powered vehicle to travel over, for making hay, etc.  Ruts, rubble, stones, buried rubbish and so on will kill hay-making equipment.  Very rough fields that get dry in summer can cause injuries to livestock - and you!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:24:27 am »
If by soil you are talking about general allotment stuff then I'd check out Charles Dowding and the no-dig method.  We moved to Dumfries & Galloway last year although I only managed to finally get here in January, our soil is very stony ranging from boulders to small stuff, hence I am embarking on the no-dig method which I have to say is a great time saver although you do still get to do some digging :-)

My 3 must-haves would probably be the following but to be fair I wouldn't call any of them a deal breaker, life in D&G is pretty good as it is -

A decent outbuilding such as a barn
Chainsaw if you get woodland
Trailer for animals and carrying wood, posts etc.

Hope you make it,
Mickey
ps. My firsth three months here saw nothing but rain a local told  me it was South Wet Scotland not South West, however we have been basking in sunshine for several weeks and it has been glorious to be outside working busily on starting out with the smallholding.

Sra

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »
Great to hear from you Micky and thanks for the advice. Hopefully (EU referendum willing) I will be in a position to retire and join you in D&G in the near future.

How big is your Smallholding and what have you prioritised for your first year? Any early mistakes I could learn from?

I'm at that awkward stage of having decided to do it but having to wait for house sales and the right place to come along. Frustrating but planning is part of the fun really (so I'm telling myself!).

I currently live in Cumbria so I'm no stranger to rain - when I moved here one of the locals said 'if you can't see the hills it's raining, if you can see the hills it's about to rain!' He wasn't lying....

Simon

tanyalou

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 05:40:06 pm »
You can never have too many outbuildings for all the stuff you will need and accumulate ????
Definitely good soil. Clay is so heavy to work unless you have the time, energy and equipment to add lots organic matter etc to improve it.

A simple house that is easy maintenance. There is never enough time in the day.
We had a period property to start with that needed renovation. We now live in a relatively modern bungalow and although not pretty so much easier. And it should see us into our old age ????
Happy hunting and enjoy living your dream x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS