Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: buying a generator  (Read 2490 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
buying a generator
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:23:58 am »
So, I was all ready for my sheep to get sheared this weekend ..... until I realised I had not sorted out how to get electric to the field they are in. They are about 150 metres from my house, so I was considering buying and chaining together a set of extension cables but started to think that it might be better to get a little generator as I'm sure it will come in handy when needing to do jobs away from the house.

Does anyone have one they can recommend, and is there anything in particular I need to look for? This is something I know nothing about so any recommendations will really help

Thanks

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: buying a generator
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:14:05 pm »
Another option is an inverter to switch car battery output to 230v if only ever using low powered stuff.

If you want a genny then you need decide a few things: exactly what you might ever want t run from it. Whether you might ever want to use it as back-up for the house. And you options to transport it. Finally how much the noise might bother you

Small suitcase inverter gennies are popular for low to moderate power stuff and quiet but all those fancy internal electronics can be a pain with some motors you might want to run that have a start-up back EMF. The suitcase genny I bought had (on paper) more than enough power to run the borehole pump.. but would safety stop itself due to back EMF whereas an older simpler and smaller genny coped with that surge fine. It was also heavier than one really expected and beyond OH to lug. In the end i sold it and bought a way bigger older style (new) electric start wheeled genny that can run most of the house and OH can easily wheel it from the barn and start it if necessary. It was much the same money too. And it can run the borehole, freezer, fridges, computers and even an electric kettle and microwaveas well as the downstairs lights.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 12:30:56 pm »
I don't think I would want to use it as a house backup, but if it could power the chest freezer in an emergency that could prove useful. 

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:49:26 pm »
You will need to make a judgement of purchase price, economy in use, power output, noise output and voltage/ frequency stability Rhea. You can get some very cheap, but crude and noisy generators. At the top end are the Honda EU range which are expensive but very economical, very quiet and output stable. The EU2.0i's that we bought were well over £1000 each. They have a maximum output of 1.8 Kw, which means the freezer and fridge is OK but the kettle isn't, so out comes the camping stove.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 05:38:06 pm »
Might be a bit late but I recently picked up a nice wee genny from lidl. 1200w max, 1000w continuous, inverter output, weighs just shy of 13kg, 3yr guarantee, cost £129. I'm sure it would power a pair of clippers no problem.
I've only used it with my (1400w...) pressure washer so far and it was happy enough. PW was a bit understandably gutless but did what I needed it to do!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:26 pm »
I dare say your shearer has his own genny?

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »
I did think he might be able to provide his own, but apparently not.

The Hondas do review well, and as we are planning to put in a barn in which may not have mains electric we're thinking it might be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks all  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS