Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New blood testing, thoughts plz?  (Read 2307 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
New blood testing, thoughts plz?
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:36:11 pm »
I am signed up to FG so I reguarlarly get their emails through the post. Today this article caught my eye and I was wondering what you all thought of it?  https://www.fginsight.com/news/new-blood-test-for-the-detection-of-tb-12526?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dairy
We all know what the soloution is for TB and please no debates on this topic about it! What do you think of this though, would be good to hear any thoughts about it. My brother seems to think it would work better with beef cattle than dairy cattle?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: New blood testing, thoughts plz?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:40:43 pm »
Sounds good so far. Each blood sample will be a pain in the backside to obtain but you wouldn't have to do the whole thing again three days later. It didn't spell out how many false positives or false negatives you'd expect. You'd also have a queue for processing, but then you're gettig an objective rather than a subjective answer.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 03:15:30 pm »
Would it be able to really tell you though? Or would it still be inconclusive say for immunity for example or can they diffrentiate between the bacterias?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 08:08:42 pm »
I am going to stay a bit on the sidelines for this one,  I have a few cows and I might ask for it to be done on them. Tell me will this be customary or just an option you don't have to do?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
My friend is having her whole herd done as they just can't go clear of tb. Costing a fortune but so is being constantly shut down and unable to sell calves. Not to mention the heartache every few months of having to send off so many tb reactors. 16 went this week :-(

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:03 pm »
My friend is having her whole herd done as they just can't go clear of tb. Costing a fortune but so is being constantly shut down and unable to sell calves. Not to mention the heartache every few months of having to send off so many tb reactors. 16 went this week :-(
That is indeed terrible and how people can't call that animal cruelty about culling cows out instead of the real problem, sorry just couldn't resist saying that. How much is it going to cost to have it done then, per blood test?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS