Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sending off a sheep skin.  (Read 3665 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
sending off a sheep skin.
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:47 am »
I'd like to send off a hide to be made into a sheepskin rug.

I can't remember the company to send then to?

The abattoir will salt them. Do I need to do it again before I post?

Rough idea of cost? And postage.? Who is best to post with?

Any tips or advice?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: sending off a sheep skin.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:50:07 am »
I sent mine to Nikki Port, (forgotten the company name at the moment but you will find it on old threads from here)

You will need to salt them again the first lot of salt can only draw out so much moisture. I salted myself and I think mine had 3 salts before I sent them off. Once salted place them on paper sacks, not plastic, so that the excess water is absorbed.

It isn't cheap to have them done, I think about £35 per fleece but can't remember exactly.

I sent 3 and mine cost just under £8 to post.

I used My Hermes which was the cheapest I could find.

When you complete the form don't say it's a skin from the abattoir, call it a sheepskin rug.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:10:15 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:29:52 am »
Everything that Bionic said :) 
Make sure you re-salt them as much as you can in order to get as much moisture out and thus keep the weight down for postage.
Parcelfarce will also taken them.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
We take ours to Devonia Products, in Buckfastleigh (in Devon, of course!)....  But takes a very long time to get them back around 7 months currently I think.. cost about £35 each...

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:49:43 pm »
Where do I get salt from? And paper bags?  How much salt do I need? How will I know that they are ready to be sent and also how do you go about wrapping them up for postage.

sorry for all the questions

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:08:59 pm »
Ours went to Nikki....http://www.organicsheepskins.com/     she has a guide to preparing for skins which will answer all your questions.  Ours cost £45 each .... depends on breed I think.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 12:53:43 am »
Where do I get salt from? And paper bags?  How much salt do I need? How will I know that they are ready to be sent and also how do you go about wrapping them up for postage.

sorry for all the questions

Salt comes from agric merchant, 20kg bags, Pure Vacuum Packed.  I don't use paper bags.  I use an 8'x4' plywood sheet, perched at a sloping angle on hurdles in a V shape.  I cover that with polythene - plastic feed sacks opened out work.  I have straw under the edge for the liquid to drip onto, and burn that frequently during the salting process.
You need to get your skins (hides are cattle/deer) onto the salting board within 2 hours of slaughter for a good salting, but if the slaughter house is giving them an initial dip for you then that reduces the rush.
Wear rubber gloves and a waterproof apron.
Spread the skin wool side down on the board, open up the legs with a sharp knife, remove scrotum if present then spread a layer about an inch thick of salt on the inside of the skin, uncurling the edges and pushing salt into every nook and cranny.
I usually then cover with a loose piece of polythene to reduce atmospheric humidity a bit.  My animals go off late in the year, so conditions are often better for salting then, being cold with dry air.  In summer the air might be damper and the temp higher.
Once pink starts to show through the salt, top it up so it's white again.  Once the dripping slows down, lift the skin and shake thoroughly to remove the salt, then spread fresh to continue the drying.  You may need to repeat this.
Once there is absolutely no more liquid seeping out, shake the skin again, sprinkle a thin layer of salt over, fold skin in half or thirds lengthways, skin sides in the middle, then roll up very tightly.  Pack as many as will fit into a hole-free plastic feed sack, and seal.  Pack this sack inside a second sack, address and send.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:55:42 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 08:22:43 am »
 If you have only one to do, you can do much simpler. Lay it on a pallet and spread 1kg cheap table salt from Tesco all over it, being sure to unfold the edges, and trim as much fat off  and grotto bits as you can and neaten up the shape. Leave for 24 hours under cover. Repeat the next day. On the third day, fold it longitudinally, salty surface to salty surface, then again wool to wool and pack it tightly into a plastic feed sack. Put that inside another one and voila ready to either wrap for posting or into a cardboard box.
I use Devonia - very good but does take 6/7 months. Last year it cost £23 per skin plus postage back - £15 for up to 10 skins.
NB. Worth ringing them before you start to check the details and to see if it is the right time of year - as you know, the integrity of the wool and it's attachment changes during the year, and they won't accept it if it's going to fall to pieces. They are fantastic when they come back - not least because you will have forgotten all about it!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 11:11:20 am »
Backinwellies, thanks for remembering the place we sent ours to. Organicsheepskins. I sent mine off in October and got them back a week or two before Christmas so the wait wasn't too long.

Slimjim, You mentioned a very good point about the time of year. As a novice I assumed you could send them off at any time of year but that isn't the case.

Hillview Farm, I suggest that you give Nikki Port a call (doesn't mean you have to go to them) 01989 730615 and get the details for certain
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:12:03 pm »
They won't do anything killed after October and before shearing this year.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS