Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opinions, please!  (Read 8537 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Opinions, please!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:34 am »
Can I squish them if they are looking at their mobile though?  :innocent:

Just gently.......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 10:16:51 am »
personally I dont think enough pedestrians are booked for jay walking in this country. As a carer when I am out with my clients I always use pedestrian crossing where available and it is very annoying when others just walk across not waiting for the green man. It encourages my clients to try the same and then they get upset when told not to cross until then green man comes on. this also goes for for my grandson and he is on;y  three. As i said book them if they dont use crossing properly.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 10:48:37 am »

Just gently.......
My insurance form.....        well Fleecewife said I could.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 11:55:42 am »

Just gently.......
My insurance form.....        well Fleecewife said I could.

:bow:

Something else is cyclists who wear head phones with blasting music filling their ears.  That must affect their awareness of their trafficky surroundings.  My eldest grandson does it, and says it's because the lorries are so loud he wants to shut out the sound  ::)  What an idiot  :dunce:
So many accidents seem to result from road users trusting other road users to act in a predictable way.  As a motorcyclist I know that is simply not true.  The way to survive on the roads is to assume that everyone is out to kill you, or to die themselves.....and that half of them have deficient eyesight, or are discussing last night's East Enders with their cronies.   Cynical?  Me?  Take a look at my Xrays to see why I take that attitude.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:30 pm »

As a motorcyclist I know that is simply not true.  The way to survive on the roads is to assume that everyone is out to kill you, or to die themselves.....and that half of them have deficient eyesight, or are discussing last night's East Enders with their cronies.   Cynical?  Me?  Take a look at my Xrays to see why I take that attitude.

When I first started learning to drive, my dad said to me, "You can be the best driver in the world. It's the other idiots you have to watch out for."

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »

As a motorcyclist I know that is simply not true.  The way to survive on the roads is to assume that everyone is out to kill you, or to die themselves.....and that half of them have deficient eyesight, or are discussing last night's East Enders with their cronies.   Cynical?  Me?  Take a look at my Xrays to see why I take that attitude.

When I first started learning to drive, my dad said to me, "You can be the best driver in the world. It's the other idiots you have to watch out for."

So true MGM and isn't it heart breaking that as often as not it's the good driver plus family who are injured in the inevitable crash caused by a drunk, or someone texting as they drive  :rant:.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 05:22:00 pm »
"Here lies the body of Jonathan Gray
Who died defending his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along
But he's just as dead now
As if he was wrong."

2 second rule, certainly and the pedestrian shouldn't have been on the crossing if the lights were against her, but personally, I wouldn't make someone jump back (or hit them).  Under other circumstances, where there are no lights, pedestrians do always have the right of way as they're squishy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 11:35:35 pm »

So true MGM and isn't it heart breaking that as often as not it's the good driver plus family who are injured in the inevitable crash caused by a drunk, or someone texting as they drive  :rant: .

That's true, FW. I often wonder how the guilty driver copes with knowing that, through their own stupidity, someone else is dead.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 11:40:19 pm »
I watched an ad about driving safely once and it was a welsh advert. long and short of it is the woman driver survived, all her mates died and all a young family, including a baby, excelt the youngest lad died. it was just his granny sat next to him in hospital and the female driver who was txting at the time had killed all 3 plus her 3 friends who were just as bad as her by txting whilst driving. disturbing and saf but very true and really tolf people the consequences of their actions. All actors were superb.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 08:44:10 am »

That's true, FW. I often wonder how the guilty driver copes with knowing that, through their own stupidity, someone else is dead.

I know someone who killed a little girl.  The girl ran into the road, but the driver had had a couple of drinks and he knew that his reactions hadn't been as sharp as they should have been.

It ruined his life; he never got over it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:12:11 am »
I once asked a police officer to justify high speed pursuits in built up areas then wished I hadn't when he told me that he had  hit a pushchair on a zebra crossing "I have to live with that baby's death for the rest of my life" he said.
(and I still maintain it's 4 seconds, on some major roads they have chevrons and you are told to keep 4 chevrons apart, if you count the chevrons as you're driving you will count 4 seconds!)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 10:14:11 am »
Devonlady, its definitely 2 seconds. I went on a speed awareness course and they were very pleased that I was able to quote it correctly from the TV ad
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:54 am »
The roads I've used with chevrons have stated 2 chevrons apart... can be quite difficult to do if the next car is miles ahead. I mean which rule do you obsevre... 2 chevrons or the national speed limit  :roflanim: ?

There would be an argument for a minimum speed limit, no A&E for road accidents and let natural selection breed out stupidity......... (yeah, that is tongue in cheek)...plus a few rotting corpses on the hard shoulder and flocks of crows as a deterrent.....

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »
Yes, you and Jim were right and I was wrong, I've just checked with my son in law, a traffic cop. Two second rule it is though I think it should be four seconds (if only so I can be right for once!)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »
.... and all the men gathered to watch the sacred occasion of the only time in history, when the legend that is Jim was shown to be right..........
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS