Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worms in water tank  (Read 6950 times)

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
worms in water tank
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »
Hi everybody,
I have just been cleaning out my 3 pet sheeps' little (but plumbed) water tank and when I refilled it noticed quite a few white wiggly worms, mainly on the surface. They are only about a millimetre across and about 7mm long. Their last egg count done by the vet was only a few weeks ago and all were less than the deworming level. One of them has got some loose poo for the last few days which I had put down to dietary indiscretion (and maybe the turnip I fed her as a treat). They were sheared a week ago.

Does anyone know what they are - should I do anything? I am cleaning out the trough....

Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: worms in water tank
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
Mosquito larvae?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:04:21 pm »
I believe mosquito larvae are generally dark and curled with a big head - they dive if disturbed.  Whatever they are I doubt your sheep would drink them by choice.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
I had this ages ago in one of my water butts, I think they're possibly dragonfly larvae, not mosquito. Is it real stagnant water they're in? I would take some out, protective clothing needed, and send it off for testing to see what it is. I can't remember what mine where but they dided due to the hot weather I had to keep adding water for them but they died so i never saw them turn into anything. They do get bigger and fatter as time goes on though.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 04:52:30 pm »
OK, Mosquito larvae are small and hairy and breathe through the end of their tails (they hang from the surface film). Mosquito pupae are a bit like wiggly apostrophe's.Dragonfly larvae are flippin' huge, and are definitely not what you've got here. WBF - were yours 'rat tailed maggots' by any chance? If so, they're dronefly larvae (the ones that look a bit like a cross between a hoverfly and a bee).

However, yes, probably some sort of insect larvae that have made their home in your trough. I can't see why they'd cause any harm to your sheep though, nor would they be indicative of intestinal worms.

I'm intrigued now though - any chance of a close-up photo if you haven't already got rid?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:04:04 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:10:43 pm »
OK, Mosquito larvae are small and hairy and breathe through the end of their tails (they hang from the surface film). Mosquito pupae are a bit like wiggly apostrophe's.Dragonfly larvae are flippin' huge, and are definitely not what you've got here. WBF - were yours 'rat tailed maggots' by any chance? If so, they're dronefly larvae (the ones that look a bit like a cross between a hoverfly and a bee).

However, yes, probably some sort of insect larvae that have made their home in your trough. I can't see why they'd cause any harm to your sheep though, nor would they be indicative of intestinal worms.

I'm intrigued now though - any chance of a close-up photo if you haven't already got rid?
Yea possibly, I asked a guy about it and he said dragonfly, they did grow rather big though in the end, but sadly never saw the end result. Agree with [member=2128]Womble[/member] though Pics would be a good starting point :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »
Thank you so much everyone. I feel much better for your advice that they are unlikely to be harmful to my little trio. I don't think they quite fit the description of mosquito larvae.  I am trying to send a picture but struggling to reduce the size of the JPEG file to be OK with the forum requirements as I am a bit of a numptie with these things.  If I don't manage, many apologies and it wont be through lack of trying!

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:46:47 pm »
Here we are - though the larger file photos are much more beautiful! Any ideas? Many thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 01:03:29 pm »
Well it seems at least twenty people have looked at this and haven't got a clue, so I'm going to admit I haven't either. My scientific opinion is that they look segmented and wiggly  ;). If it was me, I'd put them in a sealed bucket of pond water and see what they turned into..... but that's me!

I don't think they'll hurt your sheep though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:37 pm »
have you got a tree overhanging your water tank?

I found alot of similar looking things that spin a silk thread and then dangle in the wind  off the trees, they like my goat willow particularly. can't tell you exactly what they are but suspect they are not meant to be in the water.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:06 am »
You might get some more ideas as to what they might be if you post it on the 'Wildlife' section.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS