Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milkers - what do you do with ALL this milk?!  (Read 3103 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Milkers - what do you do with ALL this milk?!
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
I was warned that there would be a lot of milk but being daft I thought it would be easy to use up!
I've started to make soap (but each recipe only uses 6oz. I've made cheese but its time consuming and the last lot was fed to the bin.
Its been useful for poorly baby animals and the nursing cat but not in great quantities so, I was wondering what everyone else does?
is it worth buying a yoghurt maker? do you have local dog breeders or anyone that you give to?

even the children are going off milk shake and hot chocolate LOL
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Milkers - what do you do with ALL this milk?!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:15:58 pm »
don't waste £ on a yogurt maker, request one on freecycle and until then, use a thermos flask!
freeze some, cos you'll miss it when they dry up!
and make lots of pancakes, yorkshire puds & cauiflower cheese...
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »
Freezing is a good idea but make sure it is frozen immediately after milking, and use as soon as defrosted.  it seems to go off quicker than cows milk, but then I suppose that's because its pasteurised.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »
Custard - if you have got excess eggs too, with the rhubarb in season.... crumble with custard, our family favourite. I have got a recipe for mascarpone type cheese somewhere, uses lemons and 4 litres of milk in one go, then great to make cheesecake from. Will try and dig it out, have done it with cows milk in the past.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
White sauce is good too- for cauliflower cheese or macironi cheese. Freeze some in handy 1 or 2 pint bottles. That way if your goat dries up in the winter, you can still have goats milk. Tonic water bottles are quite a good size- my mother keeps encouraging me to drink gin and tonic just so she can reuse the bottles!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »
I would not need much encouraging to help empty tonic bottles, so long as there was some Gin, too :D  I have plenty farm cats.  Do not give them cows milk as it does not do them any good, but goats milk is better, and they enjoy it, especially if its warm!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:32:13 pm »
Oh and goats milk is really great for feeding to poultry. We always rear any ducklings or chicks by giving them bread and milk along with chick crumbs.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:06:35 am »
 ;D yesterday the cats and chickens were spoilt with fresh warm milk! now my ginger boycat is sat waiting by the milking bucket...

love all the ideas - thank you. managed to use quite a lot yesterday in a semi hard cheese and will go and pull some rhubarb for crumble with custard! might even do cauliflower cheese with our lamb tonight!!

am loving the idea of having to quickly empty mixer bottles to store milk - wouldtn' take too much encouragement here!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

misspiggy

• Joined May 2010
  • Carsphairn
  • Daisy and one of her3 kids!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 10:49:43 pm »
Rice pudding!!!  yum yum yum!!!

:)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS