Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barn construction  (Read 2920 times)

Jane & Richard Suffolk

• Joined Mar 2016
Barn construction
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:46:09 am »
Hi
I'm trying to find out information about building a barn as I need some where to store equipment, hay, straw and section for lambing.
But I thing it will be turned down unless I find out more reasons to justify its requirement. We have several theft from our smallholding (12 in the last 18 months)
Ranging from tool,ride on mowers,electric fencingcomplte setup around the field.
So I feel we are very vulnerable.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Richard & Jane.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Barn construction
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:54 am »
Hi
I'm trying to find out information about building a barn as I need some where to store equipment, hay, straw and section for lambing.
But I thing it will be turned down unless I find out more reasons to justify its requirement. We have several theft from our smallholding (12 in the last 18 months)
Ranging from tool,ride on mowers,electric fencingcomplte setup around the field.
So I feel we are very vulnerable.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Richard & Jane.

How many acres is the whole holding?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:00:54 am »
Word your application as a general storage barn, do not mention livestock as that then involves more hoops to jump through.  We just applied for a steel framed portal barn but you could describe a couple of sides as concrete panal bottom and yorkshire boarding upper.  Making it secure will happen after it is built of course.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:27:40 pm »
We're about to go through the same thing and were told to stress the amount of land we have, and all the tools that takes to maintain (tractor/quad, topper, trailer......)

Good luck  :fc:

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:43:56 am »
Security is not sufficient reason unfortunately, more down to agricultural need, you potentially need to be detailed about what you will store in there to justify the space.
The holding size will determine what permitted development rights you have

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:47 am »
If your wanting to keep stuff secure wouldn't a shipping container be a better idea? Mine is one of the best things I ever bought.

As far as I know, as they can be moved, they don't need planning permission. I may be wrong though.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:16:30 am »
You might also look at what and how much can be defined as the house's curtilage.. you can cover a good proportion of that with sheds and greenhouses etc albeit within their own planning rules. It might not have the height of a typical barn but may still be more than sufficient for small flock numbers.
I was lucky here that Mr Planner himself redefined my curtilage to be several acres (due to some illegal planting by a predecessor long enough ago to have amnesty). I believe I could cover 50% of that in garden sheds and polytunnels if i so wished.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS