Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tips for getting red mite out of broody coop?  (Read 5193 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
tips for getting red mite out of broody coop?
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:32:58 am »
as the title says..... I need something to get rid of red mite. I was thinking would a mild bleach soloution do the job at all? Thr coop is clean its just red mite have take  a fancy to it :rant: how long would I have to leave it for after treatment to use it?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:34:30 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: tips for getting red mite out of broody coop?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:01:56 am »
There are red mite sprays which I have found very effective. There are in the poultry section at the feed suppliers.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:16:04 am »
I would stick to the proper red mite treatment. Not sure if bleach would be safe or do the job.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:35:57 am »
Creosote or the substitute works brilliantly but will need a few days empty to air out

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:24:59 am »
I shift the hens somewhere else, spray the coop thoroughly with Raid, shut it up and leave it for a couple of days.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 11:40:45 am »
Being a pyromaniac, I go for the blow torch/weed wand approach if the hens have only the one coop.  You have to get into every last corner, between any slats etc, and repeat that regularly all season.  Ideally, have two henhouses so you can treat one with fire then creosote.  Check really well at the ends of perches.
I also treat the hens themselves - it's said that red mites don't stay on the birds during the day, but of course some do, or they wouldn't be able to travel around or re-infect the henhouse after treatment, which of course they can do.

Having just reread your OP I see you are talking of a broody coop.  A sitting hen will be so uncomfortable if there are red mites in her coop, plus the chicks will not do well either.  You will still have to treat the main henhouse, as well as the coop, as they will be there too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:43:27 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »
Thanks for that guys will do. I got the coop from my brother last year and it hasn't been used by me at all. I have 2 other henhouses but they have no red mite in them, as i make sure not and the hens are very healthy :) I'll have a look a bit later at the products suggested, once again TY for your helpguys I really appreciate it :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
I found formaldehyde worked well. Put in a tin and heat with a tealight with everything sealed up and let it all evaporate. Smells terrible but seems to work.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 02:08:55 pm »
I got the coop from my brother last year and it hasn't been used by me at all.

I've seen several different figures for the period of time red mite can survive.  I know from personal experience it will survive in a henhouse that's been power-washed, blow-torched and sunk in a farm pond for three weeks and then left sealed up outside over winter for over a year!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
In other words would you burn it? :-J

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »
When we first started keeping hens we modified an allotment shed, which was on its last legs 10 years before that.  It can't possibly have had red mite, but pretty soon it did.  So, yes, we burnt it  :thumbsup:  8) and started afresh with new garden sheds, modified.
It seems a pity to expose your flock to red mite from a second hand broody coop, when you have kept their main accommodation mite-free.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:45 pm »
Creosote, the proper stuff you get for fence posts. But not the job to do on a hot day...

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 09:10:35 pm »
I'm with Fleecewife. If your flock is red mite free at the moment, burn it.  They are horribly tenancious.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »
TY guys will do :)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 06:38:37 am »
I used a blow torch too. Great adrenaline rush as the chicken shed is inside the barn and the house is attached to the barn. I did clear some straw from the sides of the chicken shed and had some water to hand in case of fire.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS