Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners have ticks  (Read 2188 times)

bridgetclyde

• Joined Oct 2013
Weaners have ticks
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:06:42 am »
My three OSB weaners have ticks.  They don't seem to be attached at present but there are quite a few.  We live in a tick infested area as there are deer around, lots of heather and so our dog wears a tick collar.  I have read pigs can get lymes disease  from ticks.  How do I treat or am I best to ring the vet in the morning.  Never had this problem with previous weaners.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Weaners have ticks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:19:03 am »
Ticks that haven't attached and started feeding are really hard to see as they are tiny, are you sure they are unattached ticks?
Any animal can get diseases such as lymes from ticks but only if the ticks are infested, so it's actually rather rare.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 01:06:44 pm »
Bad tick area here and over the years we kept pigs never saw any ticks on them    cattle and sheep yes and  I cant see ticks before attatching, like     very  very tiny spiders

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »
more likely to be lice or mange.

Suggest you take a sample (or the creatures)  to your vet and get you vet to give you some dectomax

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:01 pm »
Yeah, I don't think they are ticks you have there. Ticks bite and suck! Sounds like lice which are easily treated

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS