Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any tips for trimming a poodle  (Read 2467 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Any tips for trimming a poodle
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
My poodle is always groomed by a professional but having it done every 7 weeks is quite expensive so I am thinking of giving it a go myself.

I did try once before and he looked like the dog from the specs saver ad.

I have some electric clippers and a smaller pair especially for the face and toes. The face in particular I am nervous about, getting close to the eyes.

Any tips to make the whole thing less of a problem?

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Any tips for trimming a poodle
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:37 pm »
I trim my beardie around the eyes and use sharp hairdressers scissors, get someone to hold the head so they don't move and gently snip. I would think the electric clippers are fine but they will need trimming up a bit and the trimming up can be done with hairdressers scissors. Try and have a pattern to go off..... to make them rounded instead of square sticky out looking try rounding the ends a bit to blend in. Also Youtube may have some useful vids too. All the best and do let us know how you get on :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:52:07 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:18:43 pm »
Yes, pics please once you've done it Bionic  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:56:25 pm »
Don't know anything about poodles specifically but wondering if you can use thinning scissors to get a softer look without steps or ridges. That is how you trim Flatties ears???

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_AWV1pVPqo - Face trimming

And one version of a clip - there are loads more on youtube :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anx022zAEAg

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:10 pm »
My top tip is to clip the same direction the whole time - If you go left and right, you end up with a patchy look - if you always go left (or right!) the clippers stay flat to the dog and create a  nice even length.

I'd also recommend a second pair of hands or a table with a grooming neck attachment - it is much easier to clip a dog stood still than one who is death rolling and moving - your poodle is used to being groomed so it should be a bit easier :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 10:27:00 am »
I don't "do" coats, I prefer the wipe clean variety but, with my inherited Yorkie I use a pair of surgical scissors to trim up face and paws. they stay sharp forever and are, I find, more maneagble than long, pointy scissors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS