Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wheelbarrow Recommendations?  (Read 2636 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Wheelbarrow Recommendations?
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
Mine are all falling apart in various ways.  Ideally I'm after a galv. frame, single wheel, poly bucket, 90-ish litres.  Difficult to tell things like weld quality from a screen image so recommendations (or not) would be appreciated.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Wheelbarrow Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:53 pm »
don't buy a ball wheel type from b&q. u can get a decent plastic one with normal tyre for £30.
anyone recommend the oversize ones?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:36:18 am »
I changed from galvanized to a plastic bodied barrow and have to say it's outlasted 2 galv ones already  :o (we do shovel lots of sh*t though  ;) I got it from Harbro and think it was £20.
I got a completely plastic barrow from Costco (it was more expensive at £45) and had more capacity - used it for moving straw and piglets (they couldn't jump out) but the base was weak, and it burst when we were loading logs into it  :innocent:
A horsey friend has one of the oversized ones and swears by it, but pig poo weighs more than horse poo and I don't think I'd be able to manoeuvre it very easily  :-\
Oh and if you're looking for a shovel for mucking out, I have to recommend the Costco snow shovels, they're about £20, plastic with a metal 'blade' on the edge. They really work well and the handle is long and very comfy to use  :thumbsup: I've got one that I've had for 5 years (it's moved at least 44 tonnes of poo in that time and plenty snow too!) and still going strong.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:05 am »
We have a massive one with 2 front wheels. It is really one of the most useful tools we have got in the garden/smallholding eg moves loads of weeds/grass/wood logs etc and 4 bales at a time. Sorry don't know make, got it from the agricultural store at Stirling. Of the 7 or 8 other barrow we have in various stages of decay I think the best is a Haemerlin metal one. The orange plastic builder's barrows are not bad. A lot of the kit ones you buy over the internet seem to have the 2 legs poisoned too close together so the barrow is very susceptible to toppling over

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
positioned not poisoned!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:17:52 pm »
Thoughts much appreciated - I'd like a two-wheeled one but manoeuvrability on our hillside makes a single-wheeler a better bet and I couldn't push 4 bales at a time uphill anyway. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS