Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scythe: practical tool or ancient relic?  (Read 7448 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Scythe: practical tool or ancient relic?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 11:28:03 am »
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Womble - I love his books too!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »
Bob flowerdew does an excellent thing with his lawn, he plants bulbs in it so there is an exscuse not to mow it.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:30:06 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »
Anyone bought/tried one of Simon Drummond's cheaper offerings at www.get-digging.co.uk (as per link provided by Simon Fairlie for those on a budget)?  Some of the reviews posted on the get-digging site suggest they might be OK. 

Also:  when I started looking into scything a few months ago, I came across a bit about non-tempered blades - simply sharpened with a stone (no peening).  Any thoughts?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 01:33:41 am »
I used to have a TYZAK Sheffield Steel bladed scythe , with a 1 & 3/4 "  double handled aluminium shaft .
It was fantastic , light ,well designed , you can fit it to yourself with ease & with a fine rub stone I could get it razor sharp .

There is one on eBay at the minute .  Item number 142042348516

I paid about £40 for mine 20 years or more ago , so that one is fair priced even with the carriage costs .

The old hand mower mens way of knowing your scythe was sharp enough was , first use a coarse carborundum stone to start the edge and then use a fine flat carborundum stone to almost hone it sharp .

They'd get  a copper penny , halfpenny or farthing out their pocket and press the edge of the coin onto the edge of scythe blade that you'd just sharpened . If the coin stuck on the blade edge it was sharp enough for a good 20 min of grass cutting .
 Yes you can cut grass when it's wet with a scythe but it does cut better when it's almost dry . Working in long rows cutting out from the standing grass into an open space works best . Being right handed helps for you drop the grass slightly to the left of centre line as you cut .
 They do make left handed scythes  but at a price .

I don't know if you can still get TYZAC scythe blade replacements , if you can you'll have a scythe for life & it's worth getting a spare blade or two so you'll always have one when it's needed .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS