Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for interesting fluff to spin  (Read 9705 times)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Looking for interesting fluff to spin
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:43 pm »
The best softest dog hair to spin is brushed out undercoat of breeds such as samoyed, rough collie, pomeranian, sheltie. I have a homemade  spun and knitted scarf made from my last tri colour sheltie blended with a black shetland wool. We once made a jumper wool / pomeranian blend. Also samoyed/ wool hat ( I'm a dog groomer). They can be very hot to wear. You need the wool to bring elasticity, but the dog undercoat very soft and fluffy and very insulating. Clippings are always courser and best to sprinkle with wool base. Haven't tried the cashmere the goats are casting at the moment yet. Would quite like some of my own mohair.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 12:21:34 am »
Clippings can be horrible. Another dog owner wanted hair from their Newfoundland spun and knitted into a jumper. Having been told to just send the soft undercoat, not clippings. they sent a bag of mixed undercoat and clippings. Ex said he wasn't going to separate it because they had been told so spun it as it was. While I was knitting it, I kept yelping as coarse hair pushed its way through several layers of clothing to stab me in the chest. When I undressed at night, it was even inside my bra. I swore never to knit with spun clippings again.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 10:07:40 am »
Ooh ow MGM.  Like when you've been to the hairdresser and bits have gone down your clothes.

All the talk and search for unusual fibres has re-inspired my spinning imagination, and I realised that to get what I really want I am going to have to have a go at producing blends and arty stuff myself.  So I've bought a blending hackle from Winghams - despatched but not yet arrived  :yippee:. Does anyone else have one of these?  Any tips?  Of course I'll have to get back to dyeing too, just need the scullery fitting out to be complete for that (progress today so I'm hopeful).
 I didn't like being in the slough of despond with my spinning so I'm very pleased to be keen again  :excited:  :spin:  :knit:   Having made the decision to stop breeding our Hebs has opened the world of other fibres, which I could never justify before  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 10:18:25 am »
No tips but I did buy a nice book from Ashford that includes blending.

http://www.ashford.co.nz/products/product/ashford-book-of-carding

Pity you aren't nearer. You could have borrowed it
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:08 pm »
Ooh ow MGM.  Like when you've been to the hairdresser and bits have gone down your clothes.

Oh no, FW, much worse. Like having bits of yard broom in your bra.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:33 am »

Oh no, FW, much worse. Like having bits of yard broom in your bra.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 01:39:19 am »
This is the first time we have done the cross so I don't know how big he will end up. His mum belongs to my 5 year old and he really doesn't want the lamb to be eaten. OH works in Glasgow so I'm sure something could be arranged  ;D  he's only a few weeks old at the moment so plenty of time for you to convince your OH  :innocent:

I met him today and can testify that he is GORGEOUS!!!  I'd say he's cute enough to eat but I think his mum's owner will probably beat me up if he's told I said that!  He's sooooo friendly too!

You REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED this one Fleecewife... 'want' just doesn't cover it!

But will he still be cute and gorgeous when he's 3?  Probably  ;D  We'll pop up and see him in August so I can have a feel of his fleece  :yippee:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 08:41:06 am »
This is the first time we have done the cross so I don't know how big he will end up. His mum belongs to my 5 year old and he really doesn't want the lamb to be eaten. OH works in Glasgow so I'm sure something could be arranged  ;D  he's only a few weeks old at the moment so plenty of time for you to convince your OH  :innocent:

I met him today and can testify that he is GORGEOUS!!!  I'd say he's cute enough to eat but I think his mum's owner will probably beat me up if he's told I said that!  He's sooooo friendly too!

You REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED this one Fleecewife... 'want' just doesn't cover it!

But will he still be cute and gorgeous when he's 3?  Probably  ;D  We'll pop up and see him in August so I can have a feel of his fleece  :yippee:

No boys stay that cute as they get older regardless of species! ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 11:14:09 pm »
The Winghams blending hackle arrived today - really quick service.  The thing is HUGE  :o  Having been glued to youtube watching how to use a hackle, I see that the spikes are so long so you can spread out the fibre up the whole length to make dizzing possible.  I won't have time to try it out until Monday, which will give me time to delve into my stash for interesting bits to add.

[member=8989]Bionic[/member] - thank you for the book recommendation - I've ordered it as it does look good.  Won't come til late next week now, held up by some out of stock silk grrr!  I even ordered some more bobbins to take all this yarn I'm going to be spinning  :spin: :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 02:25:35 pm »

I've sent you a pm [member=2642]clydesdaleclopper[/member]

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 11:51:47 am »
I was given my first dizz, made of buffalo horn, back in 2000.  I didn't have the first idea what it was for, but the lady who gave it to me said that one day I would know, if I continued my spinning, and to keep it til then.  I did and it's quite useful now.  It's just a thing with several different sized holes in (can be a milk bottle top right up to a work of art).  It's used to pull fibre off the combs/hackle/carder to make roving.
The hackle is an extremely vicious-looking set of spikes, rather like wool combs but bigger and wider, for blending various combed fibres together.  It is also used in horse-tail spinning (can't remember what the combed hair is used for once hackled) and in wig making for combing human hair.  I only discovered that last gem when I was searching for youtube clips on how to use a hackle.

I have very sadly had to turn down Clydesdalecloppers lovely Lincoln Longwool X Gotland wether, as he's just going to grow too big for Mr F to handle  :'(.  Maybe I'll get a fleece in a year or two.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:54:54 am by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:42 pm »
Thank you Sally.  Have you spun up any of this?  I wonder how the colours come out when it's spun.  With the stuff I've blended (ready dyed before blending) the whole lot mixes too well, so it mostly comes out sad colours, or muddy.
I know I need to learn to dye ready prepared fibres without needing to re-card or -comb afterwards.  Mostly I dye spun yarn, or singles then ply.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:32:30 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 07:52:27 pm »
Yes, I'm a big fan of Freyalyn's dyeing.

I used 100g of Goblin King (subtle shades from lilac to deep purple) on delicious Polwarth, along with natural silver Corriedale, and white Corriedale dyed by me in shades of dusky pink with hints of violet, to make my Cumbrian Winter Sunset jumper.  I'm told this picture doesn't really do it justice.

I've 100g of Dryad on black Shetland with silk sitting on a bobbin, waiting for me to decide how to use it.  The black absorbs most of the colour, leaving vibrant lights on the slivers of silk.  I bought it and span it for the love of it, with no plan of how to use it!  I might decide to make an airy shawl using the yarn as a single, or I might ply it on itself - I'll probably do some samples and see what I think.

I've two packs of Kingfisher on BFL and silk next in my queue.  I'll probably fractal spin - where you split the braid in half lengthways, spin one half end to end, then split the other half in lengthways one or more times again, so the colours repeat against themselves.  I shall weave with this; I'm interested to see how the fractal spinning looks in a woven piece.  (I've attached a pic of my 'fractal hat' - I dyed some Southdown in outrageous colours, then span some of it one-to-one, some 2-1 and some 3-1 fractal.  Then knitted a hat with the resultant yarn.)

I'm part way through a pack of very vibrant Cheviot fleece, having fun picking out a few locks of one colour, carding and spinning them, then another colour.  When it's done, I expect I'll dye some Cheviot of my own in one of the lighter colours for the other ply.  Or maybe I'll experiment with alternative second ply colours and fibres.  I've previously done a kind of similar thing, where I stove-top rainbow-dyed some fleece, and dyed some more fleece in the exhaust bath.  I did that twice, using the same dye colours, but ended up with two different exhaust bath colours - one was purpley and one greeny. (Stove-top rainbow dyeing is intentionally unrepeatable - it's a lot of fun!)  I span one single using one rolag each of the main colours reddish, blueish, yellowish and greenish, repeatedly in sequence.  The other single I span using the exhaust bath-dyed fibre, randomly selecting either greeny or purpley.  I loved the yarn I made more than any yarn I've ever seen before or since.  I made BH a hat with this.

Oops, I've gone off on a dyefest.  Back On Topic... I've also got some of Freyalyn's Vivien colourway on Wensleydale, which I plan to use for socks.  I like to make socks in 3-ply, so I think I will split the braid in two or three lengthways, spin each end to end, then Navaho-ply (chain-ply) to keep the colours blocky. 

And there are two packs of Dragonfly on oatmeal BFL, bought for spinning to weave.  Once I've played with the Kingfisher I'll have a better idea of how much fabric I can produce from 200g of fibre, and will then make a plan for how to use the Dragonfly.  One idea is to make a waistcoat / bodywarmer type thing, where I can make the back plainer, or completely plain, if I need to. 

I buy Freyalyn's fibres for a number of reasons.  One, perhaps the main one, is inspiration.  Her colourways are so gorgeous, the choice of fibres and colours together as well as the dye palette, so I always learn heaps each time I spin some.  Mostly I don't spin tops, preferring rovings, batts, or spinning fleece directly from the combs, but Freyalyn's dyed tops are always an utter delight to spin.  That Polwarth took forever though - it was so smooth, I span it finer than anything I'd ever spun before!  I enjoyed the colours as I span it, and again as I plied it (some against the natural silver Corriedale and some against the dusky pink), and again as I knitted it up - and again, each time I wear the jumper  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »
I love the first hat, so colourful! [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]  It looks beautiful, a bit like a peacock, I would definitely wear it. Was it difficult to make at all?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS