Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dorset s help  (Read 3878 times)

Chrissykelly482

• Joined May 2016
Dorset s help
« on: May 22, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »
Hi wondering. If any one has ever kept Dorset s want advice on there twice year lambing there needs and are they a flighty breed thanks  :thumbsup: ??? ??? ???

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Dorset s help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »
I've never kept them but the folks I know that do lamb them every nine months.  I know one chap who uses their ability to breed "out of season" to lamb in October and have well grown lambs ready for the breed sales the following Spring. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »
I kept them about 10 years ago. I found they were quite suceptible to flystrike, very friendly did often breed twice a year if allowed to and they did tend to suffer foot wise too. On the plus side tons of milk, so a good choice for milking and their carcasses are quite fatty too, but a very nice meat. I would say give it a go, if managed very well they are very easy to keep, they're not usually flighty, again it depends on breeder, ours wwere very friendly. A word of advice be careful what stock you buy as some small breeders pile them full of cake, so look at them well and have a good chat with the prospective seller. Hope this helps and all the best with whatever you decide. It is a good breed to go with as a beginner, so I say yes so long as you choose a reputable breeder and make sure you see the sheep in their working clothes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:07:21 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:08:06 pm »
I've never kept them but the folks I know that do lamb them every nine months.  I know one chap who uses their ability to breed "out of season" to lamb in October and have well grown lambs ready for the breed sales the following Spring.
My neighbour crosses them with texel, definately a good breed for the  commercial boys
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »
Hi wondering. If any one has ever kept Dorset s want advice on there twice year lambing there needs and are they a flighty breed thanks  :thumbsup: ??? ??? ???

Lambing twice a year would take a lot of a sheep. You would need very good pasture. I would look on their website and see if there is someone near you that you could visit.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
Technically isn't twice a year ....  3 times in 2 years is the norm (so 9 months as MF says)    This obviously requires very good housing as you wont be doing an outdoor lambing in winter.  The advantage of them is to be able to lamb Nov /Dec and rear lamb for easter .... but lots of feeding costs in this
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:50 pm »
Used to keep dorset horns , easy sheep to handle very milky , lambed in nov  pure       and if they missed then lambed with other sheep in march to Suffolk  , easy lambers , feet a slight problem but it was west coast

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »
Does anyone know of a flock close to Staffordshire? I'm interested in the poll Dorset breed, particularly seeing what the lambs are like when crossed to a terminal sire...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:39:03 am »
it may be worth asking the NSA if there are any breeders around your area at all. I think that there is indeed a dorset sheep society they will almost certainly be able to tell you about any breeders in the area. good luck with it all and do let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:30 am »
There are three Dorset breeds - Dorset Down, Polled Dorset and Dorset Horn.  All three are non-seasonal breeders, afaik.

The fleece is interesting from all three, but the Down has a very nice Downs-type fleece, as you'd expect from the name  :D, while the Horn and Polled have a longer staple, less crimp and slightly coarser (but nonetheless very usable) fleece.

I know less about any other differences, apart from only the Horn is horned, of course.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:34 am »
From what I've heard if you regularly go down the 3 lambings in 2 years route it can take a lot out of the sheep. Most people I know with Dorsets lamb them in Nov/Dec to capitalise on the Easter lamb trade, but only lamb every 12 months.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:13 pm »
From what I've heard if you regularly go down the 3 lambings in 2 years route it can take a lot out of the sheep. Most people I know with Dorsets lamb them in Nov/Dec to capitalise on the Easter lamb trade, but only lamb every 12 months.

The only person I've known with Dorsets had two flocks - an Autumn lambing flock and a Spring lambing flock.  Anyone who scanned geld could be moved onto the other flock for a second try, I guess, though I don't know whether she ever actually did that.  She had a farm shop and cafe, so wanted fresh lamb year round.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS