Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming and vaccination lambs  (Read 2735 times)

Je

• Joined May 2015
Worming and vaccination lambs
« on: May 21, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »
May I have advice please?
Lambs due for first Heptavac P but also have Panacur ready for Nematodirus, SCOOPS say now hatching in my area and should peak in about 5 - 7 days. Can I do both at once or should I do at different times. How many days apart? Thank you

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Worming and vaccination lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:43:03 pm »
Two to three treatments on the same day should not be too much for the body to cope with, so usually better to do this than stress them twice by handling them to vaccinate one day and drench another.
Hope it all goes smoothly for you

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:52:01 pm »
Thank you fsmnutter, will get to it now. :sheep:

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:18:50 pm »
Thank you Je, I was going to ask the same thing! We don't have a drenching  gun, the vet has given me a syringe for the lamb worming liquid, any tips to a novice for administering to wriggly lambs without shooting it down their windpipe?

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:36:07 am »
If you are working alone, grip the lamb just behind the shoulders between your legs, with it's back end against  a wall/ hurdle etc. Use one hand to hold its head under its jaw and ease it's mouth open between finger and thumb just enough to accommodate the syringe nozzle. Your other hand operates the syringe. I tend to trickle it in and allow the lamb to swallow rather than squirt it in one shot, but others do exactly that and both methods seem to work. Good luck.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:36:09 am »
Thank you, that sounds do-able. There will be two of us, one to hold lamb and one to administer. I think I will go for the trickle method, just in case.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »
I wouldn't heptavac and worm at the same time. The first hep dose can really knock them down for 24 hours or so, with them noticeably looking under the weather, so I would either worm first then hep a few days later or the other way round. We are giving 2nd heptavac dose tomorrow, wormed last week and will crovect them in a few days time. They are coming in tonight to make sure they are dry and will stay in until 5-6 hours post crovect treatment. I wormed all our lambs on my own last week, it's the heptavac that needs 2 people I found.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS