Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cuckoo  (Read 2672 times)

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
cuckoo
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:43 am »
Been listening to a cuckoo the last couple of mornings! North east scotland (Aberdeenshire).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: cuckoo
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:03:01 am »
We don't seem to get any around here, must be lovely to hear. Personally they always give me the shudders when I hear them, because it means breeding season and the poor animals they prey on with their eggs :o
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:59:26 pm »
Our two have been back for about three weeks now (north coast of Scotland).  It's nice for the first couple of days, because it means winter's finally over - not that you'd believe that today! - but the following six weeks or so of ding-dong cuckooing battles between the one on the hill and the one up the burn starting at about 5am each day gets a bit wearing!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »
Does anyone know why there are so many cuckoos in NW Scotland?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »
Been here 7 years but not heard a cuckoo yet.

Old farmer that lives up the track a couple of miles away, always asks if we've heard the cuckoo at all. He is a keen bird watcher and says that they used to be heard all the time down where we are.  :(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:06 am »
I heard one for the first time at our new place this morning.  Not heard one in years!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:07:18 am »
We have a resident cuckoo who sits on the power line running past my back garden- can watch him whilst eating breakfast. They are noisy, though!
Heard this year's first corncrake the other day too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS