Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: after-effects of illness, normal?  (Read 2916 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
after-effects of illness, normal?
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:53:51 pm »
Is this normal in any way? Please feel free to tell me to shut up if I am annoying you all. After a particuarlarly tough illness/cold do you feel really lost at all or almost no appetite? These past few days I haven't felt like eating much, but know I have to, to keep up my stregnth, just keep feeling tired and fatigued. I wanted to do some gardening today but had to lie down after feeding calves, I mean calf feeding it is usually fine! Also I jsut don't feel like eating and when I do its all the wrong stuff I want to eat. I have never in the whole course of my life felt like this before, what is wrong? Sorry again if I am boring you.  ::) Also I keep getting back ache and I am always feeling cold on my back if I sit for any length of time
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:59:59 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: after-effects of illness, normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »
Yes. I used to say six weeks for after pneumonia and probably at least four for any other severe chest infection. OH has just been told that his nose will take four months to settle after his septoplasty. The one thing is that you absolutely MUST listen to your body and rest if you feel tired. I know you need to carry on with the WBFs but don't relinquish support too soon.

Cake seems to have a curative effect too - especially Mr Kiplings French Fancies which all my patients used to swear by.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:14:43 pm »
A bit of what you fancy does you good when you've been ill or had emotional stress. 

I have been on a medication regime for 2 years - not yet seen as much improvement as I'd like, and I put on weight with steroids; now I'm off them I've lost a bit but the other drugs were making me feel squeamish so I just ate bread and butter mostly for a while.  Hopefully with a change of drug I'll feel able to eat properly and lose some more of the steroidal weight.

So just eat what you feel like eating just now, in time you'll get back to a normal diet when you're better
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:04 pm »
Calories are important when you're recovering from an illness. Healthy eating has become synonymous with low fat and low calorie but if you're sick you need calories so eat what you fancy, rest when you feel tired and be kind to yourself for a few days. If your diet is usually well balanced then you won't miss out on anything for a good while, make sure you drink plenty of fluids as the risk of dehydration increases if you're not eating as we get quite a lot of fluids from the food that we consume. Hope you feel back to normal.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:51:21 pm »
You have been really quite ill, it is not surprising you feel so rotten at the moment. Just eat what you fancy, rest when you need to and be gentle with yourself. I know you want to be back to your old self, but it will take time. Just take time to heal, you will feel better soon. Sending  :hug: for a speedy recovery.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:31 am »
I can only echo what's already been said. Forget the healthy food for a bit. I'm sure your appetite will return but just pander to it until you feel like proper food. And rest. Often. You will get over it far quicker if you do.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:41:44 am »
You could try those little bottles of drinks that contain all you need. You can get them from the chemist.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:05 am »
Yes give your self a good drenching.  And if you fancy stuff that you think is no good for you, don't worry, keep on eating it, get yourself level again.  Get well soon Hun xxx

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:30:47 am »
Breaking up activities into smaller snippets than usual and resting between times can get stuff done without you getting wiped out.  If you want to pig out on fruit cake, well cake has fat, carbohydrate, protein and fibre and lots of minerals and vitamins so what's not to like ....?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »
Haven't been on her for a  while - just read your post about your growling beardie - that's the answer - you've been ill, she's maybe picked up the onset quicker than you did and she's looking after you by keeping people at bay.  Slowly does it, get fully better, explain to her you're getting better and that you'll be looking after her now. I'm sure she'll stop growling.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:23 am »
sadly she always growls, I think with her it is to do with territory and she sees me as being hers :) I am feeling much better now thanks, I do get the odd bout of tiredness, but who doesnt right?  My flu has completely gone and so has the fatigue. It has affected my tastebuds, so that may take a little time to adjust back  ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS